Chapter 12 - Leon

12- Leon

3rd August 2015 – 12:00am

I sat back on my bed, remembering all the times I had spend with Mira. Reality hadn’t sunk in yet and I still didn’t want to believe that she was dead. A sudden knock at the door, snapped me out of my thoughts and I stood up to answer it.

I opened the door to find Joe standing in front of me with a few more of his friends which I knew very briefly. I had met Joe some time in my second month of training when he had told me that he and his friends wanted me to join them in a game they called dare or die.

“You made it,” Joe said surprised at me still being alive.  “We all thought you’d be cancelled this time. Dare or die wouldn’t be the same without you.

“I thought I was being cancelled too but I was given my last chance,” I said, then added under my breath, “Under a few circumstances.”

“Well we have to hurry before anyone sees us outside of our rooms past this time,” Joe said then looked at his watched while the others behind him acted as a look-out.

“You came all this way just to congratulate me on my survival?” I asked, slightly confused.

“Of course not, we came to get you because we’re playing Dare or Die,” Joe said, “And hurry up about it, we all need to go back to our rooms to get signed in again before heading back to mine.”

“Yeah alright, I’ll be over straight after I’ve been signed in,” I said and then I closed the door behind them. I got undressed out of my training kit and put a plain black shirt and pants on. I was given two sets of clothes when I had first started: my training kit and a kit for when I wasn’t training. It wasn’t the most comfortable thing sleeping in, but we were taught that sleep should never be comfortable and that it was just a way to recharge our bodies for the upcoming day.

A few minutes later and the sign in monitor came and knocked on my door. She checked to make sure everything was in order before ticking my name of on her list to show that I was in my room. After being signed into your room after 9pm, you weren’t supposed to leave unsupervised, but most of us did it anyway.

I waited three minutes before leaving my room and heading towards Joe’s room. I had to be careful not to get seen by anybody as well as staying hidden from any cameras that constantly monitored the whole building.

As I made it to Joe’s room, I made sure not to knock too loud but loud enough for Joe to hear. I knocked a tune on the door which signalised that I wasn’t a monitor and waited for Joe to answer it. I had to keep checking to my left and right, making sure that anybody walking down the hallway wouldn’t spot me.

When Joe opened the door to his room, I walked in and sat down on the floor next to others that were going to play the game. The first time that I had played the game it seemed cool to me and was an exciting experience. But then that second time we played, someone was caught and I realised the brutality of it all. I wanted to back out of the game but of course that wasn’t an option and so I ended up becoming a permanent member. I had always despised the game and despised the person who even came up with the idea.

          “Who are we waiting for now?” The girl from my right asked.

          “Jemaine,” Joe replied. The sound of his name made me thing back to Mira and I closed my eyes trying to get the image of her out of my head. It didn’t work however, and closing my eyes only made me see her even clearer. A sudden shock of anxiety ran through me and I forced my eyes open in panic.

          “What’s up with you?” Christie asked. She was the girl sitting two over from my right.

          “Nothing,” I replied, trying to calm my breathing but by now, everybody in the room was staring at me. There weren’t a lot of us – maybe six or seven – but it felt like a hell lot more. “It’s just that Jermaine’s dead,” I replied, “And so is Mira.”

          “Mira?” Joe asked, stunned. “The one you had a crush on?”

          “I didn’t have a crush on her,” I lied and they all burst out laughing.

          “Keep it down guys,” Joe said, worrying about making too much noise and alerting a guard or a monitor.

          “That’s too bad,” Christie said.

          “How on earth did she get cancelled but you didn’t? Her training is a hell lot better than yours” Joe said, “No offence.”

          “Non taken, and I don’t know,” I replied.

          “How did they die?” Joe asked.

          “They were both shot,” I said, “But Mira was supposed to be gassed but then I disrupted it and she was shouting something at me, but I can’t remember what, so then they shot her,” I said, trying to think back to what happened.

          “Well, if they’re not coming, let’s start the game then,” Joe said, coming to sit down in the circle but at that moment, the door knocked. We all suddenly went quiet and looked at each other in confusion.

          “Were you expecting anyone else?” Christie whispered and then the door knocked again. We all expected it to be a guard or a monitor but when Joe opened the door, it wasn’t a guard. It wasn’t a monitor either. It was Jemaine.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Haii guys!

Hope you liked it -  I uploaded it on time this week so I hope you're all happy!

Please, vote, comment and add it to your library

First person to add it to their reading list one this has been published - which it now has been - get's the next chapter dedication.

cios!