Chapter 13 - Lara

13-Lara

3rd August 2015

I woke up in an empty room. To my advantage, it was bright with light and I was able to see what I was in ; which looked like a room only without any windows. I was sitting on a single bed however one of my wrists was handcuffed to side of it.

I sat up trying to fiddle with the lock and free my hand but it was useless. After failing a number of attempts to free myself, the door to the room opened and in came Lauren.

“I see you’ve finally woken up,” Lauren said walking over to me. I noticed immediately that she wasn’t wearing her usual casual jeans and a top but instead was wearing a blacked out uniform with a hell load of pockets on the outside.

“I told you that I had changed my mind. I don’t want to join you or your stupid group,” I spitted.

“It’s an organisation actually,” Mumbled Lauren and then continued, “You only changed your mind when you saw the needle. It’s perfectly normal though, everyone panics when realising they are about to be sedated.

“Whether I panicked because of the stupid needle or not, I really don’t care. Get these handcuffs of me now, I want to leave!” I shouted.

“I’m afraid I can’t do,” Lauren said, “Actually I’m not afraid, I’m just not going to do that.”

“Ha-ha, so funny,” I said rolling my eyes.

“I really don’t think you understand,” Lauren began, “You chose this life, you have nothing left, your old life was erased, you no longer exist to the outside world. You have nowhere to go other than here,” Lauren said.

“And what if I refuse to join your organisation?” I asked.

“It’s too late for that. You already have” Lauren said.

“What do you mean?” I asked then realised that all this time I had been missing out the obvious question. “And what do you do?”

“We are called DATA and we train young Adults like yourself into Agents who will then fight for a greater cause,” Lauren explained.

“And what is that greater cause?” I asked.

“You’ll find that out during your one to one sessions with Cathy,” Lauren said and before I had the chance to as who Cathy was, she interrupted me.

“Right now, I need to be sure that you’re not going to try to do anything stupid like attack me and run when I un-cuff you,” Lauren said looking at me.

“I won’t attack you,” I lied and waited for her to un-cuff me before I made my move. After un-cuffing me, she made me walk in front of her while she escorted towards the door which made it harder for me to attack her but just as I approached the door, I swung round and punched her straight in the face. She staggered back in surprise and I quickly went up to her and took the bunch of keys out of her pocket before running back to the door frantically. It took a few seconds to find which key was the correct key for the door but when I eventually un-locked it, i left the room and threw the keys on the floor before ran down the corridor as fast as I could.

Just as I turned the corner, I saw two guards walking towards my way so I spun round and ran the other way however, I didn’t make it far. In front of me were another two guards - one female this time – who took one glance at me before speaking into there radio intercom.

“Subject under control,” One of them said and then I was taken by one of the guards that had a firm grip on my arm down the corridor while the others followed behind.