Chapter 1

I knew I would never see my Montana Mountains ever again. I hated the thought of never riding through my favorite creek, never barrel racing at Jumpin Jacks Jackpot, and never seeing Will again. A tear slowly fell down my face, but I wiped it off before it could drop onto my wranglers. When we sold Skipping Stones Ranch, my father had sold everything. The massive gambrel style barn that housed all of the 60 horses and mustangs we had captured and tamed all gone in a massive whirlwind. None I had of my own, I only rode and trained the young champion runners that outsiders brought in to us.

We drove by all of my beautiful mountains, and headed south to Texas. I never thought I would be moving there, but the warm climate sounded like an okay place to be. I looked out the window of my dads black pickup and saw no mountains, but miles and miles of wispy yellow and green grass.  I looked out of my peripheral to see dad smiling as we pull down the crunchy rock driveway.

"We're here Raegan, welcome to our new home" He said, pulling the truck through a stone & iron gated entrance and stopped in front of a gorgeous two story stone ranch house. The barn looked brand new, and looked big enough to hold at least 50 horses or more. I jumped out of the car, nearly tripping from my still numb legs. 

I quickly grabbed my duffel bag, rolling suitcase, and backpack then headed straight in. According to Dad, some of our relatives live down here and already stocked the house with food and cleaning supplies. I opened the door and stood in awe at my new home, unable to move out of the doorway. The walls were all wood paneling, with a high ceiling and stone fireplace, the hardwood floors were shining brilliantly along with the glistening chandelier above my head. 

The kitchen was huge with an oversized fridge and vast amount of concrete counter-space, accented with mahogany wood cabinets with black ivory shaped handles. Dad came passed me in the doorway and set down his bags by the kitchen table. 

"What do ya think kid, think it will do?" He said, looking around at the place. I smiled, and closed the door behind me to not let the AC out.

"It's no Montana, but it is beautiful." I said with a sigh, thinking about Mom. Dad looked at me with a frown, as if he could read my mind.

"Raegan I miss her too, but think of this as new start! Your mom always loved a new adventure, and it was always her dream to move back to Texas. Just give it a chance, please?". I looked at him and noticed his handsome features showing wrinkles from the last two years of stress and worrying over finances after the accident. I gave him a nod and smile, and decided to head upstairs to settle in.

There was a grand stairway with three hallways. I went to the left first and found a green colored master bedroom with a walk in closet and built in bathroom.

 I went back and tried the middle hallway, and found myself a big entertainment room. It had a big snack area, with cabinets full of candy, chips, popcorn, and fountain drinks. Also along with a 70 inch flat screen with surround sound, a stereo, and video game system. I would definitely be in here a lot. 

I walked out and went to the last hallway on the right an opened the first door. I walked in and found a pale blue room, with horse posters and trophies that were placed on floating shelves mounted on the wall. I walked in and set my duffel on the light grey comforter on my bed and noticed a beautiful horse chest at the foot of my bed with a matching desk placed against the wall. A saddle took place for my chair and a set of white french doors opened up to a small breakfast balcony overlooking the pasture. 

I take of my crocs and walk over to the bed, deciding that unpacking now would mean I could explore longer later.

***********************************************************************************************