Chapter 22

I wake up and look over at Walker. He twirls my hair around one finger, and I realized he was watching me sleep. I reach up and kiss him on the lips. He sits there and curls my hair and says "Ready to get the new horses and go home?". I nod, eager to see the horses at home, and start training the new horses I had won.
I get up, and wrap a purple blanket around my shoulders. Walker gets up, picks me up bride style, and helps me off the truck. He jumps down, and we both decided to get dressed and go to Silver Creeks Daily Grind Coffeehouse. I threw on my jeans, and grey tank top, and my horseshoe ball cap, and pulled my hair into a braid. He threw on some wranglers, his work boots, a black tshirt, and his ball cap. We scooted in the truck, and I slid over to his side. He put his arm around me and kissed my head. He put the truck in drive, and drove down the dirt road.
***
"Morning Grace, Morning Colton." I say, eyeing them suspiciously. Walker hands them their coffee, and we both give each other a funny look. Colton looks kind of uncomfortable, and Grace looks exhausted. We all were. I give her a hug and say, "Ready to welcome the new members of the family?!". They all jump up, and we walk over to the first barn. I grab Walkers hand, and walk into the barn. A woman with short brownish-blonde hair about shoulder length stands there with a clip board. She eyes me suspiciously and looks at Walker.
"Hey, Want to introduce me to um... Your little friend?" She says softly. I look at him and he swallows hardly.
"Um, Rose, this is my mom, Christine. Mom, this is my, girlfriend Rose." He says sliding an arm around my waist. I feel my hands start to get sweaty, and my ears turn red.
She looks me over and smiles. "Well it's finally time Walker introduces me to you! We have heard all about you. I believe you won Jacks Barrel Race?" She said with a soft tone. She reminded me of my mom, how gentle and sweet she was to everyone. I miss her. A lot.
"Oh yes. Thanks." I stammer, nervously . Walker squeezes my hand and I breathe a little better.
"Then I bet your here to claim your horses? Just sign here, and I will show you where they are." She says pointing to a waver on the stall. I go and sign them, and she leads me to the first horses stall. The bay mare is there munching on some hay stalks.
"Okay so this mare doesn't have a name, but she is a very sweet little girl. I find her amusing because she is a very happy little horse. I hope you like her as well." She says to me. I grab the black rope halter from the hook and go into the stall.
She is a smaller mare, but is very affectionate. She nuzzles my arm and I put the halter on. She ambles out of the stall, and Grace and Colton smile.
"She is so cute!" Grace says petting her nose. I had a feeling about these two, but looked at Colton. He stared at Walker, and then smiled at me. I shifted uncomfortably, and ask, "Who next Christine?"
"Please, call me Christy. Next we have a chestnut gelding. He's a 6 year old quarter horse, but he is the fine purebred, a rare one that is. But he is good at anything you put him at." She said leading us to the chestnut gelding. Walker went in and patted his neck. I smiled as he took him out and put him in the trailer.
"Sadly, the last horse on your list was bought back by the owner. So please, look at the horses again and come find me when you've made your choice." She said walking out of the barn. I sighed, upset that I couldn't get the horse I wanted, and started looking around again for one more. Finally, I settled on another buckskin mare named HollyWood, and brought her to the trailer. Moonshine whinnied to the new horse and she nickered back.