Chapter 15 - Fire is no destruction

Being in a Fire Nation colony was new to Avani. Sure, Ryuu was from the Fire Nation but he had lived in the Earth Kingdom since he was two years old. Aang was the only one excited -though he had kinda affected Avani's emotions into being excited too, but she wasn't- to be near firebenders.

They were looking at a poster about the Fire Day's Festival, where there was going to be cultural exhibits, jugglers, benders, magicians.

Sokka was the first to voice their concerns, seriously "You might wanna rethink that" He nodded at a poster next to the Fire Day's Festival one "Look at this"

Aang and Avani walked closer to the poster, a mix of worry and excitement hitting them, making them frown at each other wondering what emotion came from who.

"That's a poster of you" Avani pointed out

Aang nodded, smiling

"A wanted poster!" Sokka exclaimed "This is bad"

Aang removed the poster from the wall, starting to read it.

Katara stared at the wanted poster uneasily "I think we better keep moving"

Aang looked at Katara. "I have to learn firebending at some point and this could be my only chance to watch a master's up close"

Interest filling Avani made her nod slowly. Aang flashed her a wide smile. However, what Aang didn't know was that Fire was the next element in line in the Avatar cycle for Avani and if the entire Fire Nation was against the Avatar and if they found out an Earth Kingdom girl could bend fire, they would immediately kill her. But she had to bend fire too. She had to master it.

The thought made her pause and silently began panicking for such thoughts that didn't hear when Katara convinced Sokka from going.

"Ava?" Aang snapped her out of her thoughts, sensing her panic and smiled reassuringly. "Come on. We're going to the Festival and we need disguises"

Avani nodded slowly, sarcastic "Sure, this is gonna be fun"

Aang grinned "I knew you'd think so"

~8~

While the three of them had disguised themselves with black cloaks, Aang wasn't as stealthy and put up his orange shawl over his head.

Avani facepalmed 'This was actually us once upon a time, Korra?' She thought with a grimace.

"It's like you're a whole different person" Sokka deadpanned

Katara giggled

"Let's go" Avani sighed, grabbing Aang's wrist "Let's get this over with"

Avani pulled Aang forward to the town, the siblings following behind as they reached the colony, seeing people in masks.

Katara tilted her head, "I think we need some new disguises"

"Where are we gonna get masks like that?" Sokka asked

A Mask dealer was close by "Get your genuine Fire Festival masks here!"

Sokka narrowed his eyes, "That was surprisingly easy"

The four of them chose their masks, Katara and Avani picked ones of ladies with make up and when they saw Aang's being a red one with a frown on it, and Sokka's a blue smiling mask, they made a face at each other, nodding in agreement as Katara removed their masks and switched them off, Aang now with the smiling one and Sokka with the frown.

"Much better" Avani told them, smiling

Aang pointed "Hey, there's some food"

Sokka smiled, "Finally!" He walked closer to the shop keeper "What do you have?"