Reason

Crying in the tall grass you wipe away your tears taking in a deep breath of the grand truth of being alone in this world. All you could have ever loved was gone with no real assurance of it ever coming back. They told you not to wander off too far but you didn't listen and now they left you alone in this island.

A boy just 3 years older than you watched silently from a far. The breeze of the wind made his hair dance as he watched you cry. "It happens, it always happens. Children are forgotten on this island. Stupid."

Ready to leave the sound of dogs barking combined with your screams force him to turn back. 3 wild dogs chased after you until you climbed up a tree.

A dog snarled out leaping to bite your leg it's teeth tearing your flesh as you fell into the deepness of panic. Holding onto the branch you felt as if the dog were to rip your leg off. "Let go!" The voice of someone screamed as he ran with a stick smacking the dog hard enough to break a rib.

The dog whimpered rolling to the side. The other dogs barked but retreated with the other injured dog.

"Are you-" the boy turned to check up on you but suddenly your body fell as he dropped the stick catching you in his arms. Holding onto his shirt tightly your muffled cries were the only sounds indicating your consciousness.

The dripping blood from your leg created a puddle on the ground.
The boy was silent as you cried against his chest. Lowering his head he had no choice, but yet he did. It was a mixed feeling of doing something but also not doing anything. What makes you any different from all the others? Why should he even care? After all, he found humor in others suffering. The weak don't deserve to live. But with you it seemed different.

When you were being attacked he didn't think of anything else but saving you. Turning away with you in his arms he felt empowering as if he were ready to fight anything to keep you safe. Could it have been out of pity? Could it have been just because he was there? No! Not at all!

It's that same question circling back. "What makes you any different?" He mumbles.

Never had he helped other children who have been abandoned or lost. This wasn't the first case of a child being attacked by dogs. Not the last.

So why?

Why bother saving you?

What good are you in this world? Many children who do make it to the age of 16 have already climbed the ships of pirates where their decision is now their destiny. Saving you is probably the worst thing he could have ever done. Now, you will live on this island where your chances of becoming a prostitute are much more higher than dying of poverty.

That, or you will just be a homeless woman catch a sickness and die. Men will attempt to rape you despite your age. There is just so much that can happen to you. All the possibilities that he has witnessed by hand can happen to you.

Setting you down on a rock near a moving stream he walks over to get a bucket of water with a sponge. This was his place to bath so he already has his things hidden from other eyes.

Kneeling down beside you his eyes look up at your puffed red face. You held onto that branch when that dog bit down on your leg.

Lifting your foot up he examines the bite. The constant bleeding was beginning to slow down.

It was a deep bite but you refused to let go of the branch. Small red dots on your hands were from damaged skin is the result of how tightly you held onto the branch. The strong will of a survivor a fighter.

"Were you willing to lose your leg?"

Sniffing between shaking breaths your eyes watch him dip the sponge into the cold water from the bucket. Squeezing the sponge allowing the icy water to spill on your stinging wounds. It seems to ease the pain despite the stings. "No." You whimper out as he pats your leg with the sponge. "I just didn't want to die, I." Your eyes glass with stale tears as you try to think of a way to describe it. But the pain in your leg was stronger than your own thoughts.