Chapter Fourteen- Food Fights Are The Best Kind Of Fights

Harley woke up, disentangling herself from Ryan and sitting up. She could see all the dust floating around as morning light streamed through cracks in the walls. Ryan was still out cold and Jasper was snoring softly, too.

She leaned over and kissed Ryan's forehead. "Good morning."

Ryan groaned and covered her head with her hands.

Harley laughed. "Come on, Scythe is probably worried sick about us. He probably thinks we got caught."

That made Ryan sit up. "Oh yeah, you're right. We need to get back." She pulled her Converse High Tops on, and Harley got her combat boots, not bothering to tie them up. Jasper, disgruntled by all the movement, yawned and stretched his back. "Come on Jazzy!"

Ryan got out of bed, sore from all the running the night before and went with Harley down the steps and through the maze of alleys until they arrived at the old drug store. Ryan did the knock fast, and the door swung open.

Scythe looked up and sighed in relief. "Oh thank god, I thought you were arrested!" He hugged them both when they came inside, then his mood changed to anger. "Where were you two? Why didn't you come home?"

"We fell asleep at the firehouse, we were really exhausted."

"And you couldn't have sent a text? Walked just a few more blocks and come home? I was planning a jailbreak and you were sleeping?" He lectured. "That was very irresponsible."

"Sorry, Scythe," Harley apologized, "We didn't mean to worry you. It's just that we ran all the way from the zoo to the firehouse and-"

"You ran that far? And you haven't eaten yet?"

"How did you know we haven't-"

"Because you didn't pack snacks like I said you should! Go, go sit down, you need some breakfast." He walked off to go to the food supply, muttering about how crazy they were.

Harley laughed and so did Ryan on their way back to their bed, where they sat down, thankful to get off their cramped legs. "Scythe is so weird. He'll give us guns and knives and lets us do hand to hand combat but he worries if we don't eat breakfast."

"What can you say? He's special."

***

Olivia was in Tony's office, leaving after she finished the final sale on her agenda to go make a smoothie. She deserved one after all the work she had done that day. She stepped into the kitchen to find that Cassidy was already in there with her boyfriend, Mark.

"Hey Cassidy, hey Mark," Olivia said. "What are you guys doing?"

Cassidy turned around to show her the batter they were making. "Baking!"

"Baking? I didn't know you liked baking."

"Neither did I until today. But I finished my project for my Integrated Digital Media class, and I felt like treating myself but Mark wanted to do something so we're baking! Turns out it's more fun than it looks. We've made three pies, two trays of cookies, a cake, and now we're working on brownies!"

They both had aprons covered in flour, chocolate, icing, and other substances. Mark had a chef's hat that kept slipping off.

"Nice hat," Olivia remarked.

"He lost a bet with me so now he has to wear it," Cassidy told her, laughing at Mark's unamused face. "You look great."

"Whatever. I bet I can stir my batter faster than you."

"You're on!"

Olivia decided to leave. She was not getting in the way of their competitions. That was a death wish and from the shrieks she heard in the kitchen as she left, she probably would have gotten brownie batter on her.