〚 𝐭𝐰𝐨 〛

✧༺♥༻∞

chapter two

the stars align

✧༺♥༻∞

[ * earlier that day * ]

jacob ✰

"Jake, where are you going? You're supposed to be hanging out with us...Charlie set this whole thing up for a family vacation!"

I turned around to find my younger sister, Emily, looking up at me. She was sitting on the couch in the living room watching television, her partner in crime, my younger brother, Percy, beside her, his blue eyes glued onto his phone, as the pair waited for dinner. Her blue eyes watched me intently as her long brown hair rested on her shoulders. From where I was, the two looked like they could be twins, the only siblings of mine with those intense blue eyes. 

"Down to the beach to catch some waves, Em, you know me, gotta love 30A," I replied casually as I carried my bag over my shoulder. I grabbed one of my surfboards from our mudroom, taking one at random as I started out the door. 

I'd always loved coming to Florida with my siblings for a holiday, it had been our tradition since forever. My parents had purchased a beach house here in Florida, right at the edge of Panama City Beach along Beach Boulevard so we always spent our spring break there. Nowadays, since Charlie and Harvey were over 18 and I was turning 18, Dad didn't bother coming with us anymore and trusted us to watch over the rest of our siblings for our week in Florida.

"Want some company? I could always come with you, I'm sure Percy will too," she offered, her blue eyes twinkling with a flicker of hope as I shook my head solemnly, keeping my eyes on the ground as I could just picture her face falling with disappointment. My innocent little sister, who like the rest of us, had a tainted past and what was almost a family full of strangers. We could barely hold conversations, we didn't have anything to talk about. We lived together but we were galaxies apart.

"Oh...okay, will you be home for dinner? Charlie said he'll make lasagna, isn't that your favourite, Jake? I'm making some salad too, won't you stay for dinner at least? You haven't had dinner with us in ages...please stay! You will, won't you?" Emily asked hopefully as I willed myself to look up to meet her sorrowful blue eyes. I saw Emily looked a little disappointed, she knew exactly what I was going to say and yet, she always asked as if she hoped that one day, I'd say something other than 'no'. 

"I don't think so, Em, I've already packed a bunch of sandwiches and juice in my truck, I was just grabbing my bag since everything else is in my truck already..." I answered truthfully as she bit her lip, nodding quietly before turning her attention back to the television. Percy, who must've tuned into our conversation long enough to hear what I'd said to Emily and witnessed her reaction, wrapped an arm around our younger sister as she leaned her head on his shoulder. Percy looked over Emily's shoulder, shooting me a cold look as I looked down at the floor, unable to face the consequences of my actions. I was breaking my dear sister's heart every time I stayed away for hours but I couldn't bear to be around my broken family.