Chapter 8

"It took all night, but Erza, Mira, Happy, and I managed to finish all the last minute alterations. They even helped devise a plan to sneak me to the ball without my stepmother's knowledge. I'm so excited to see Natsu again, I could burst!"

Lucy was so happy she practically glowed the whole day, much to the confusion of her stepmother and stepsisters. They did everything they could to bring her mood down, but Lucy just kept smiling.

"Today is the day I leave this miserable hell house and see Natsu again. No matter what happens tonight, I am never coming back here again. Erza said that if I ever needed a place to stay, the East Kingdom was open. She may have also said that Natsu would never allow that, but I digress."

Soon it was time for Lucy's step family to leave for the ball. It took everything in her to look dejected and sad when they climbed into the carriage without her.

As soon as they were out of sight, however, Lucy's brilliant smile returned and she rushed to go get ready. Mira and Erza had stayed up all through the night before altering the dress, so Lucy didn't mind letting them stay in the kitchen to sleep while she entertained her step family's every whim all day.

Lucy's two new friends were waiting for her. She barely had time to open the door before she was pulled inside. Erza helped her step into her dress while Mira worked on her hair. She pulled it into a beautiful, messy updo, letting Lucy's natural bangs highlight her face. Erza gently placed and secured the gorgeous tiara on Lucy's head, allowing Lucy put in her own earrings.

Stepping away for a moment, Lucy knelt next to the kitchen fire place and pulled her mother's key and her two photos from their hiding place. She clutched the memories to her chest and smiled.

"I'm finally going to see him again, Mom. And I'm never coming back to this place ever again."

After a moment she felt a gentle hand on her shoulder, reassuring her that everything was ok. Lucy turned to give Erza a grateful smile and handed the knight her mother's key and photos.

"Do not worry, Lucy. She is safe with me."

Lucy nodded. "Thank you."

Mira walked up to Lucy, another expensive looking box in her hands.

"Happy just came back with this today. He said that Natsu forgot about them."

Lucy looked at her curiously. "What more could there possibly be?" She turned to open the box.

Inside was a stunning pair of white and silver slippers and long, pink silk gloves.

"He over did it!"

Nevertheless, Mira helped Lucy step into the sparking slippers and Erza fixed the gloves on Lucy's arms.

Once everything was finished, Erza and Mira stepped back to let Lucy enjoy the whole ensemble. She twirled and spun, watching the fabric poof and settle around her. They didn't have a mirror for Lucy to see herself with, but she trusted her friends and knew they would never lie to her. Especially on a night as important as this.

"You look beautiful, Lucy." Mira smiled and clasped her hands together. "Yes, you look absolutely stunning, Lucy. Now come on, we still have to get you to Natsu." Lucy blushed at the mention of finally seeing him again.

Erza walked over to the back door to reveal Happy, waiting just as planned. He flew straight to Lucy. "Lushee, you look amazing. Natsu's gonna love it!" Lucy's blush deepened. "Thank you both, so so much." She gave each of the girls a tight hug.

Mira giggled and began pushing Lucy and Happy out the door. "Go go, you don't want to keep your prince charming waiting."

Lucy laughed. "More like a dragon."

"Wait! Lucy! The scarf and letters!" Lucy paused as Erza wrapped the scarf around Lucy's collar and tucked the scrolls into Happy's bag for safe keeping.

"There. Now you're ready. Good luck, Lucy." The girl smiled and hugged her friends again. She once again turned to face the blue cat.

Happy spread his wings and attached himself to Lucy's back. After a few moments, Lucy was high in the air and they were on their way to the palace.

"Hey, Happy? Are you just going to drop me off at the main gate or..." Lucy asked.

"It'd look weird if I showed up with a flying, blue cat on my back, and there's no guarantee that I'll actually be able to see Natsu if I go in through there. There will be far too many people."

Happy laughed, "No way, Lushee. I know exactly where Natsu is, I'm gonna take you there."

"Thank you, Happy."

~~~<•>~~~

"I can see the castle!"

"Thank goodness! If I fly for much longer, my wings will fall off!"

"Was that a joke about my weight?!"

"Oh no, I got her mad! Natsu!" Lucy could hear Happy's stifled giggles.

"Stupid cat!"

Lucy huffed and looked down, searching. After a few seconds she saw it. The familiar pink hair.

"Lucy, look I found him!" Happy started moving from side to side, trying to get Natsu's attention. Then she was falling. Lucy looked up to see Happy in a panic diving for her, but he was too slow.

"I know he's there. I saw him. I trust him."

"NATSU!"

BA-DUMP

"LUCY!"

A single heart beat managed to pass before Lucy was scooped from the air mid descent. She was being cradled by the two strong arms she knew would always be there. She could hear the flap of his wings. Feel the warmth radiating from his chest. Lucy looked up to see the one person she'd yearned to see for so long.

"I made it just in time."

"Thank you, Natsu."