Chapter 9

They spent what felt like an eternity just reveling in each other's presence. Lucy had adjusted herself in his arms, wrapping her own arms around his neck for support. Really, she wanted an excuse to hold him. To feel that he was there. Little did she know that he was in a similar state. After another long minute, Natsu began to descend, though never once did he look away.

Once they had reached the ground, Natsu reluctantly set Lucy on her feet. She stood and straightened her gown, pretending to wipe imaginary dust from the cloth to gather her thoughts. Natsu beat her to it. "It's good to see you, Luce. How ya been?"

Lucy stood up straight and smiled. "Pretty good. What have you been up to?"

"Training of course! I'm never gonna let what happened a year ago happen again! I promise, Lucy!" His eyes became fierce, almost as if they had been set ablaze. Lucy just smiled and shook her head. "Don't worry. I don't plan on going back."

Natsu grinned. "'Bout time. Those bastards don't deserve you." Lucy blushed and moved her hand to the scarf around her neck. "I came to return this to you." Her blush deepened as she gently wrapped the scaly fabric around his neck.

"Thanks, Luce. This scarf means a lot to me." Natsu gave Lucy one his signature grins, putting any doubts she once had at ease and sparking her own smile once again.

"I know."

They started walking as they spoke, catching up on everything that's happened in the last year and even beyond that.

"No way, you really did that?" The two of them had ended up on a two seated swing, just talking. Being the best friends they had always been.

"Hey, don't laugh! Erza beat me to a pulp. I got stuck in bed for a week!" Despite his complaints, Natsu couldn't help but laugh with her.

After a moment the mood turned serious. "Natsu?"

"Yeah, Luce?"

She hesitated. "Never mind."

He groaned. "You can't do that! Now you gotta tell me!" Lucy gulped and looked at her feet. Natsu nudged her shoulder. "You can tell me, Luce. I won't be mad. I could never be mad at you."

Lucy met Natsu's eyes, searching for any sign of deceit. Just one and she would stop. She'd pull away. Forget. But she couldn't find any. Not even one.

"Why was this called a Bride-finding Ball? W-Who are you going to marry?"

Natsu looked surprised; then he grinned. "Luce. You dummy." Natsu stood from the swing and looked down at her. "Who have I spent the last few hours talking to?"

Lucy was silent, unsure.

"Okay... Who did I give a beautiful gown and my mother's favorite jewels?"

Lucy looked at the ground. Silent.

Natsu sighed and put a fisted hand over his heart. "Who did I vow to protect a year ago? Or who did I vow to marry when we were kids?"

~~~<•>~~~

"Hey, Natsu. If I'm the Momma and you're the Dad, does that mean we're married?" A young Lucy asked.

"Of course!" Natsu smiled but Lucy looked doubtful.

"What about when we grow up? Will we still be together?" Natsu stopped and turned to Lucy.

"I promise that when we grow up, I'm gonna marry you!" Natsu put a small fisted hand over his heart.

Lucy laughed. "Okay!"

~~~<•>~~~

"Me. You promised you'd marry... me." A movement from Natsu made Lucy look up.

He was knelt before her on one knee. A single studded ring in his palm. Lucy covered her mouth with a gasp.

"Lucy, I promised to protect you and I ran away and that is something I can never forget. Let me make it up to you for the rest of our lives. Ms Lucy Heartfilia, will you marry me?"

Lucy burst into tears and lunged, ensnaring her dragon in a tight embrace.

"You idiot, of course I'll marry you!" Lucy tackled Natsu and they fell back on the grass with a thud, laughing. Natsu slowly pulled them up, Lucy in Natsu's lap, their arms wrapped around each other. Just as their lips touched, a loud thump came from a set of bushes behind them. Lucy jumped, a deep blush coating her face. Natsu just growled.

"I'm gonna kill 'em." Natsu set Lucy on the ground gently before setting his hands ablaze and dragging a half naked man from the bushes. "Oi' Natsu! Get off, Flame-for-brains!"

"I'm gonna make you pay for interrupting us, Ice Princess!" The two boys started full on brawling in the grass, leaving Lucy extremely embarrassed and confused. A second sound made Lucy turn her attention back to the bushes. She could barely make out the shape of a second person hiding there, the white trim of a gown poking out through the leaves.

"Lucy!" The girl turned at the sound of her name. Mira came bounding across the grass and helped pull Lucy to her feet. She held their hands together and stared into Lucy's eyes. "So? Did he ask? What did you say? How many babies are you expecting?"

Lucy smiled at her enthusiasm, her blush ever present. "I-I said yes." Mira squealed and ran off, mumbling something about telling 'Laxus' and making wedding plans.

"I am happy for you, Lucy." Erza placed a hand on Lucy's shoulder and turned her attention to the two bickering boys. Her aura suddenly became very intense. She walked calmly over to the boys, making them freeze.

"Bickering like children on such an important day!" She placed a hand on each of their heads and slammed them together. The sound made Lucy wince. "The hell? Erza!" Both boys crumpled to the ground, holding their heads in their hands.

Lucy giggled. Erza carried on like nothing happened. "Natsu. Have you spoken to the King yet? To tell him the good news."

Natsu looked up at her. "Not yet. I just asked for fucks sake."

Erza hit him on the head again. "Language." Lucy stifled her laughter. Natsu shot her a glare and she couldn't hold it back anymore.

Her laugh was loud and free, making everyone around her smile. Natsu stood and held out his hand. "Let's go, Luce!"

This time she took it without hesitation.

"Right!"