Chapter 10

Natsu lead Lucy into the palace. Everything gleamed with bright gold and rubies. The walls held beautiful images of dragons, mages, and humans alike. Stories lost and found through the ages. Lucy was fascinated and couldn't stop staring, mouth agape in wonder. Natsu's laughter shook her from her trance. Lucy turned to look at him, a look of awe still evident on her face. "This is your home now. You'll have plenty of time to see everything later, promise."

Lucy smiled but doubt began to creep into her mind. When at last the ballroom doors were in sight, Lucy could not help but voice her fears. "Natsu. Are you sure the King will approve? I was nobility once, but..." Natsu stopped in front of the doors and turned to his best friend.

"Luce, I already told him about you," Lucy gasped but Natsu's grin stopped her from speaking, "And he asked me how many children he should expect."

Lucy's face became noticeably red as she covered it with her hands. "You idiot."

Natsu pulled Lucy's hands from her face and scooped her into a hug. "You have no need to worry. He has wanted to meet you for so long. Plus, he's taken quite a liking to someone you'll definitely be excited to see."

Lucy pulled away, confused. "Who?"

Natsu grinned and reached for the door. "You'll know him when you hear him."

He shoved the doors open with bang. The excited noise of the guests of the ball, that could be heard through the door, dropped until it was nothing but a murmur. People in beautiful clothes bowed as Natsu and Lucy walked past, whispering questions that would soon be answered.

Lucy decided to walk a step behind Natsu and clung to the end of his scarf. His warmth radiated around her, keeping her as calm as her pounding heart would allow. It was then that she noticed how similarly they were dressed. His white suit and golden embellishments matched perfectly with her own white dress and pink lace trim. The collar of her dress and Natsu's scarf. The hand sewn pearls along her waistband to the pearl buttons on his coat. Even the crown he wore as prince matched the one he had given her, both featuring a large ruby in the shape of a heart as the centerpiece.

" 'He was there through the entire process; nothing was added or removed without his input.' "

Lucy couldn't help the smile that grew with the realization.

"He planned this, the adorable, amazing idiot."

Too soon did they find themselves at the foot of the stairs that lead to the King. His throne was bright gold, ruby red cushions being the only contrast.

Lucy lifted her head to peak at the king as Natsu spoke.

"Hey Dad, I'm back."

His hair was a dark, brick red, his gold crown nestled in spikes. Scars ran across his face, highlighting his sharp but kind facial features. Smile lines were clearly accented around his eyes as a small grin spread across his face at the sight of his son.

"So I see. What brings you here, Natsu? Have you completed your goal."

The King's posture was relaxed but stiff. His suit was simple, and nothing at all like Lucy expected. What did she expect? This was Natsu's adoptive father, not some cackling, evil King sending her to execution.

"I have."

"And?"

"She said yes."

Gasps and murmurs filled the room. People had begun to realize Lucy's identity. But everything went quiet when the king rose to his feet. Lucy turned to see everyone around them had knelt in the ground. She resisted the erg to join them and instead stayed at Nastu's side.