5.

===============================

CHAPTER FIVE
~ The Walk of Punishment ~

===============================

The journey down the Walk of Punishment was one of the most challenging things that Jaenys has done. The hopelessness that clouded the faces of the slaves that were forcibly attached to the poles that lined the streets struck a nerve within him. Despite living there his whole life, he had never stepped a foot along the Walk of Punishment, and for that, he was the luckiest slave alive and eternally grateful that he possessed the skills that the Masters needed, and wanted.

Jaenys watched from above - not wanting to be spotted helping them by the Masters - as Daenerys, Jorah and Ser Barristan walked blow him, their faces were solemn with sadness as they took in the sight of the slaves. To the untrained eye, it looked like Jaenys was spying on the mother of dragons, watching her every move, but to those who knew the events of before, they could see that Jaenys was there as a friend - as an ally.

The other newcomer - the infamous Ser Barristan Selmy - still confused Jaenys. He had never seen, nor heard of him before today, but when Jaenys mentioned his name, a look of regret and sadness, but also joy and happiness, made its way onto his ageing features.

It was a look of familiarity; a look so foreign to Jaenys that he never realised what it was. And while something felt different between the two, Jaenys could not pinpoint the reason for this strange feeling.

The bright sun and the blue skies contrasted the mood that all four of them felt as they saw the slaves, bruised and beaten, put out on display for the whole of Astapor to see. Blood seeped out of the wounds that were left by the whips, covering their bodies in the sticky substance.

"The Walk of Punishment is a warning, Your Grace," Ser Barristan spoke.

"To whom?" Daenerys asks, stopping in front of one of the unfortunate people who found themselves chained.

"To any slave who contemplates doing whatever these slaves did."

"Give me your water," Daenerys demanded, holding her hand out towards Jorah as he reluctantly removed his water from his belt.

"Khaleesi, this man has been sentenced to death," Jorah tried to reason but was met with the mother of dragons ignoring him. Daenerys walked up towards the punished slave, climbing the giant stone steps to lead up to the stage that he was stood upon and offered him the water.

"Here, drink this," she said in the softest voice imaginable as she guided his face towards the drink. It was barely a whisper, but it held so much love, and it was evident that she genuinely cared for the man she had just met.

"Leave this place, Your Grace," Ser Barristan suddenly said in an urgent voice, "leave tonight, I beg you."

"What is she to do for soldiers?" Jorah asked as Daenerys turned around to face her two advisors.

"We can find sellswords in Pentos and Myr," replied Barristan eagerly.

"Is it 'we' already, Ser Barristan?" Jorah replied, obviously not trusting his new companion, leaving Jaenys to scoff. He would have thought that an extra hand in helping the rightful Queen would be appreciated, but evidently, there was something more to his behaviour.

"If you want to sit in the throne that your ancestors built, you must win it. That will mean blood of your hands before the thing is done," Jorah continues as Daenerys handed him his water back.

"The blood of my enemies, not the blood of innocents."

And with that, she walked off, leaving Jorah and Ser Barristan stood in place for a moment. Smiling to himself over Daenerys, Jaenys rushed ahead and joined up with the two men to get to know them better. After all, he was working with them now.

"How many wars have you fought in Ser Barristan?" Jorah asked, paying no attention to Jaenys.

"Three," he replied bluntly.

"Have you ever seen a war where innocents didn't die by the thousands?"

Barristan thought for a moment, and with a look of sadness and regret on his face, he shook his head.

"I was in King's Landing after the sack, Khaleesi, "Jorah now spoke to Daenerys, "you know what I saw? Butchery. Babies, children, old men. More women raped than you can count. There's a beast in every man, and it stirs when you put a sword in his hand. But the Unsullied are not men. They do not rape. They do not put cities to the sword unless they're ordered to do so. If you buy them, the only men they'll kill are those you want dead."

Jaenys couldn't disagree with what Jorah was saying - it was true, after all. While Jora spoke, everyone remained quiet, listening intently to what he was saying.

"You disagree, Ser Barristan?" Daenerys finally spoke, causing Jaenys' attention to be drawn to the old Knight.

"When your brother Rheagar led his army into battle at the Trident, men died for him because they believed in him, because they loved him, not because they'd been bought at a slaver's auction. I fought beside the last dragon that day, Your Grace. I bled beside him."

"Rheagar fought valiantly," Jorah added, "Rheagar fought nobly, and Rheagar died."

Ser Barristan sighed as he let the truth sink in, "Did you know him well, Ser Barristan?" Daenerys asked, keeping her eyes straight ahead, refusing to look around her at the hundreds of slaves left to die.

"I did, Your Grace. Finest man I ever met."

"I wish I had known him. But he was not the last dragon."

No other words were spoken between the four of them as they made their way towards the gigantic golden statue. The conversation had left Jaenys confused; if there have been so many wars, why had nothing been done to protect the many innocent lives that were lost? After thousands of wars, surely there must have been a way to stop all the death and destruction that it caused.

Jaenys rushed ahead of the three, the questions still burning in his mind, to the golden stature where the negotiations for the Unsullied would begin. Despite having pledged his loyalty to Daenerys, Jaenys still worked for Kraznys and had to do what he said until him and Missandei could get safely off this Island.

Walking through the gates, Jaenys could see the Masters sat on a stage, waiting for Daenerys to make a deal with them. Missandei stood awkwardly to the side, patiently waiting to translate for the Masters.

Jaenys approached, notifying the Daenerys would arrive soon and that there was nothing to report. He made his way over to Missandei and stood next to her, quietly signalling to her that things were about to change.

He just hoped that he was right.

===============================

I finally updated! I'm so sorry for the long wait!

Things are starting to pick up now so look forward to that and more moments between Jaenys and Daenerys!

If I were to create some social media accounts for this, would you guys follow or would it be a massive flop?
Please let me know if you'd be interested in that!

===============================