Chapter 2

I could hear the birds chirping through my open window. 'Never thought I'd hear birds chirping again,' I though to myself. I sat up and saw Beth in the corner of my room with a tray of food.

"Were you watching me sleep?" I whispered in my groggily and raspy voice.

"No, just waiting for ya to wake up. Just got in here a few seconds ago." I nodded and she handed me the tray of food. Even though I just ate before I went to bed last night I was starving.

I hogged down my food and chugged my orange juice. I was still hungry. I'm glad I'm somewhere where I can actually get some good food, not just granola bars and bags of cereal. We sat there in silence and I attempted to get out of bed and that I accomplished.

The standing part, failed. I ended up falling on my face. Literally, not just falling, but falling on my face. I groaned as Beth rushed to my side and helped me up.

I made it out the door of my room, the stairs, eeeeeh I'm gonna fail miserably. I'll probably just be like a baby, sit on my butt, and slide down the stairs. Beth was helping me every step of the way but the stairs would be the hard part.

I went with my baby idea and sat down on the top step and slid down it. Beth busted out laughing once I hit the first step. She probably couldn't believe I went through with that.

We walked onto the porch. Three more stairs. I'll probably fail so I went with the baby idea again. .

"Kasey!" I heard Maggie, squeal? I smiled and she dragged me into a hug. I hugged her back and stroked her hair.

"So, ye like my baby idea?" I asked. I still had my raspy voice. Maggie and Beth busted out laughing. They were actually rolling in the dirt. I just stared at them with an amused face. "Look how I raised my sisters!"

"Sorry.......just......too......funny!" Maggie laughed.

"Yea? It'll be funny when I beat the shit outta ya and you gotta do tha'." They both fell silently and stared at me wide eyed. "That got ya quiet real fas', didn' it?"

"Sorry." they mumbled. Wow, I really did have an affect them.

"Where are my little rednecks?"

"Caring for the horses." Maggie replied. I nodded and looked towards the stables to see them walking out of it. I put my pinkies in my mouth and whistled. Their heads shot up at me and a smile came across their faces. That made me smile, seeing them smile for real, made me smile a real smile. That's the first in twelve years.

They sprinted towards me and once they reached me they enveloped me in a hug.

"It's nice to see you two, too." I smiled.

"We've missed you so much! We thought we'd never see you again!" Megan sobbed.

"Yea! We had no one to teach us to drive, or paintball, or ride, nothing! We couldn't do anything fun without you here! We couldn't hear our favorite song! We couldn't even see our mom's beautiful face!" Hunter cried. I noticed Maggie and Beth walked inside for some reason. So I stayed here and held my babies.

"Walker!" I heard a blonde woman yell. I didn't even meet anyone from that group. Yes, that group, was the best I had. Also 'blondie', 'brunette', 'curly', yes I was just going of their hair color or style. Cheap, right? 4 guys started fighting with blondie about who handles the walker. I just tuned them all out.

I did pull my twins behind me back. I am very protective over my family. The tiniest threat, I'll be super protective. I pulled the kids back towards the porch steps and all three of us sat down.