Chapter Fourteen: Ella

I entered the clearing just as Caspian was arriving as well.

“I had such a wonderful time last night!” I told him.

“I did as well.” He said. We stood there, just smiling before Caspian said anything.

“Well, Ella… Um, Well, um…” He kept stopping and pausing, and suddenly seemed very nervous.

“What is it, Caspian?” I asked. “Well, um...Oh, I don’t know how to do this!” He ran a nervously shaking hand through his hair before he stepped closer to me and got down on one knee. I gasped, realizing what he was trying to do.

“Ella, we have had an amazing time together here in this little hideaway of ours, and I have enjoyed your company so much. I could never in a million years tell you how much your friendship means to me. Your amazing kindness to your step-family, even though they are so cruel to you is just… Well, it’s amazing! And the true joy and happiness that you seem to glow with just makes you as all the more beautiful to me. You have been a true friend to me, but over the past two years, you have slowly become more than just a friend to me. I don’t know exactly when it happened, but you must know this: I have come to love you very much, and can’t imagine living out the rest of my days without you. Would you marry me?” At first, I couldn’t answer because of the tears that were running down my face.

I finally managed to pull myself together enough to croak out, “Yes!”

Caspian whooped with joy, and grabbed both of my hands, kissing them on the knuckles. I laughed tearily along with him. After a while, I’m not sure how long, we had finished laughing, and we sat together beneath the old Weeping Willow.

“So, did you ever find that letter from your mother that you were telling me about?” He asked. I sighed and looked down at our intertwined hands before answering.

“No, and I have a feeling that my step-father might have found it before me, and either burned it or locked it up in the safe that he keeps in his office. I really wish that I could find it so that I could put the mystery to rest, but I may have to settle for never knowing.” I told him. He nodded in agreement.

“Well, I better get back before I’m missed, or else I may get in trouble,” I said. Caspian stood and then helped me to feet. I hurried back to the mansion and was hoping to get some more baking done before dinner, but then my step-father called me into his office. I wonder what he wants. I thought to myself.