Chapter Eighteen: Ella

Two weeks passed quickly, and I finally met the grandparents that I never knew I had. They greeted me with open arms, and though they were obviously grieved at the news of their daughter's death, they were ecstatic to find that they had a granddaughter. We spent much time together at the castle with Caspian, and I even went on a trip to Aestoria with them for a few weeks to see the place that my mother had grown up. One year later, Caspian and I were married, and after a few months, his parents retired from their service as the rulers of their country, and Caspian became king. I was relieved to hear that I would not become queen until the following year so that I could learn the full duties of a queen. I studied hard, wanting to be the kind of queen that people wanted to look up to. When the day finally came, I was so nervous that I was almost sick.

“I don’t know if I’m ready for this. What if they don’t like me? Or what if I make some terrible mistake, and offend one of the visiting monarchs? What do I say to anyone? Am I expected to speak at all?!?” I had been asking questions like that all day, and I was sure that the servants were fed up with me. Suddenly Caspian stepped into the room.

“I will take it from here.” He said, and I was sure that the servants wilted with relief. After they had left, I looked up at Caspian.

“I am quite frightened,” I stated.

He coughed to cover a laugh.

“Yes, well, it is time. Whether or not you think you are ready, we are beginning now. Besides, I think you will be perfect. No one I know is kinder or more generous than you. Now that I have you settled, are you ready?” He asked. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes before answering.

“Yes, I do believe I am. Thank you, Caspian. For everything.” And with that, we entered into the room filled with guest’ from far and near, all here to see a young woman change from princess to queen. As I looked out at the crowd, filled with many of the faces that had become familiar to me, I was filled with gratitude for the opportunity to help more people. During the past two years, I had come to know all the castle servants name’s by heart and knew a little something about each of them. Caspian often praised my ability to remember so much, but I knew that when the day came for me to be crowned queen, I would not do it for me. I would do it for the people of our country. I would do it for the future of our world. I would do it for my mother.

The end.