10-18

"Just like always, the crowds are pretty amazing on sundays. Lots of different people came just to watch practice... Alumni and reporters, too."

"Man, I'm getting so nervous."

"I couldn't sleep at all, last night!" Kanemaru agrees.

"I can't believe we're gonna be playing against the upperclassmen. It hasn't even been a month since we joined the team."

The game begins, and Tanba pitches have a certain fire beneath them. He's pumped up, and he even yells out after a pitch.

The third and second years are taking it really serious, but the first years don't quite get into it, thinking it as little more than practice. Already, they give up, watching the more experienced players defeat them in every aspect of baseball.

You notice Miyuki and Sawamura playing catch in the bullpen, but leave it. You already know Sawamura's just itching to play, and you've figured out enough of Miyuki to know he likes interesting things, hence why he's talking so much with Eijun.

After just one inning, the third years are up 12 runs, and the first years are utterly exhausted, and they're already giving up.

"What the? Hey! Why's everyone so down? The game's only just started!" Sawamura encourages. "We've still got 8 more chances to take the lead!"

"Take the lead?"

"Have you been watching the game at all? We dunno if we can even score a run, let alone take the lead, man!"

"Hmph. A person like you, who can't get in the game, wouldn't understand," Kanemaru says.

Three consecutive strikeouts later, the first years look even worse.

"If you let yourself get beaten down by the enemy before you even get to fight... You won't be able to play with everything you've got!" Sawamura smiles. "I wanna try to hit them with everything I've got... That's why I came to this school."

Half the first years look shocked, the others looking annoyed at him. You sigh, but can't help a smile.

Kanemaru scowls at him. 'Don't mind him so much. But, didn't you come here to put your heart into baseball too?'

He swallows before turning his attention to coach Kataoka.

"Okay, first years! We're shifting the pitcher and entire outfield!" coach calls.

Sawamura looks excited, and he continues.

"Fine, you'll be on defense too."

"Yes!" Sawamura yells out, tears of happiness uncannily streaming down his face. "At last, at last the day has come! Mr. Head Coach, I appreciate your bold decision! I, Eijun, will meet your expectations without fail!"

You sigh and start signing to the boy, who pays no mind as he gleefully skips to the mound.

"Where are you going? You're playing right field!" coach says, leaving him stopped in his tracks.

He stands gloomily in the field, paying no mind the the ball coming straight towards him. Not used to playing the position, much less with a hardball, he misjudges where it'll land, and jumps, the ball flying over his mitt.

The other players are yelling, and he retrieves the ball. "It's because... I've never even played outfield once!" he says, shooting the ball towards third base, but it curves and hits the runner.

Despite the amusing occurrence, the tension only rises. The second and third year team score another 9 runs. The first years look crushed, physically and mentally.