20-23

Sawamura catches Chris leaving early again. "Hey!"

He doesn't get a response, and Chris leaves.

"Hey, Eijun-kun," the younger Kominato calls. "Earlier, a third year named Chris handed this to me. This is a new menu, he said to tell you."

"What?! Is this some kind of joke? Who's interested?" He chucked the scroll away and ran off with his tire. "This tire is the most dependable one! Let's fly, partner!"

"Is anything the matter? I might be able to help you out... By the way, the day after tomorrow is the Kantou tournament. What do you intend to do? It seems like all member are obliged to attend."

He looks back angrily. "Haha... I know."

The younger Kominato chuckles. "Right now, we only get ot sit in the stands. So I understand that feeling of dissatisfaction. But... the future rivals we have to face might appear in this competition, you know. Checking out the enemy isn't a bad plan."

____

An announcement comes on during the game, announcing the player change. "First half of the eighth inning, Seidou pitcher change. The eighth inning substitute for Tanba is pitcher Furuya. The substitute is pitcher Furya."

'Good luck pitching! Go surprise the other team.' You smile, and he simply nods.

Furuya uses the rosin bag before dropping it down and getting ready to pitch. His pitches are extremely successful, and before no time, he's truck out 5 consecutive batters. The crowd goes wild for the new pitcher. The last batter of the inning steps up, and the crowd cheers for him to strike him out, too.

You smile, watching the pitcher's success.

"And he's out! The sixth player struck out in a consecutive string!" they announce.

The team goes on offense, finishing the job.

____

After practice, you and Rei call Sawamura in to evaluate recent occurrences.

"How was it?" Rei asks. "Didn't you say you didn't watch pro baseball? After watching the game, did you feel that there is much you can learn from watching? Baseball is a nine man sport. There's a lot more to it than just batting and fielding."

Sawamura looks down.

"(Y/N) and I assigned you to Chris as a partner in hopes that you'd learn this as soon as possible. Have you learned anything from him?"

He growls in anger. "(Y/N)! How could you!"

'Sorry, I thought you'd get along better with him...' You look down awkwardly.

"Anyway, we were thinking of having you pitch in the next practice game, but you don't know anything, so that probably won't happen."

The door squeals open. "Excuse me, could I look at the score book?" Miyuki asks, before freezing at the sight. Sawamura's on the floor, bowing to you and Rei.

"You've seen me! I shouldn't be seen in this state!"

"Haha! You look great!"

Rei hums. "Is it that we chose the wrong person? Sawamura and Chris don't seem to work well together," she asks Miyuki.

"That's because Chris isn't the type that'll open up to others," he says, looking through the scores.

"But out of all the members of the team right now, he's probably the one who knows the most about baseball and has good judgement when it comes to players. That's why I thought Chris should be partnered to Sawamura."