One

If you like my story, please vote and comment! I'd love to hear what you think xx. 

Evie-Mae walked over to the shelf right by the door to straighten up some CDs that various customers had rifled out of place--not purposely of course.  Her eyes scanned from the left of the shelf to the right as she rearranged the CDs that had been misplaced.  As she reached the end of the shelf, her eyes wandered to the window on the left, the dark-haired boy from ten minutes ago still sitting on the bus stop bench on the sidewalk of the busy Manhattan street.     

Without thinking, she walked to the front door, bracing herself for the ice cold wind that surely would blow through the door. Evie-Mae stepped outside into the bitter cold and walked towards the boy who still hadn’t noticed her.

Harry was sitting alone on the bench, a luminous street lamp being the only source of light at this late hour. He wished the bus would be here soon or so help him God he’d be out of time. The hospital called and said he better get there as soon as he could, so that is what he was trying to do and right now, the bus was taking entirely too long. His constant checking of his phone for the time and the nervous tapping of his foot made it evident he was waiting for something.

Em slowly walked up to the boy, hugging her arms into her chest for warmth. She should’ve grabbed a jacket.

“You’re waiting for the bus, I presume.”

Harry didn’t know she was out here, and her voice caught him by surprise, that of which was probably amplified by the fact that his mother was dying of cancer at this exact moment and he was here waiting for a bus.

“Yeah.” He coughed out. It was freezing out here and his fingers were feeling numb.

“Come and wait inside the shop.”

“I really can’t afford to miss the bus.”

“You just missed the bus. There won’t be another one for another hour or so. Believe me, I’ve worked here long enough to know when the bus comes.”

“You don’t understand. I cannot miss this bus.”

“You won’t be able to get on the bus when it gets here and you’re frozen to that bench. Now come inside.”

The strange girl with purple hair turned on her heel and marched back inside, the boy still sitting on the bench.

“I’m not going to tell you again.”

Getting up in defeat and against his better judgement, Harry followed her into the shop.The warm air greeted them cheerfully, a vast contrast to the icy outdoors. The quiet bell over the door rang as Harry shut it behind him. There was a little velvet couch right by the window, where he could perfectly see the bus stop. Harry walked over to it, taking a seat and facing directly towards the window, so as to not miss a thing.

“I love this song.” Em said, walking towards the front desk of the shop. It was over-stimulating in there. Well, Harry thought it was. CD’s stacked everywhere, band posters on the walls, and little twinkle lights giving a warm glow.

 And I'd give up forever to touch you

'Cause I know that you feel me somehow

You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be

And I don't wanna go home right now

Evie-Mae sang along to the tune. Harry had never heard this song before.

“What song is this?” He asked the rebellious looking girl. (He only described her that way because of the dark purple hair, nose piercing, and dark leather jacket she was wearing).

“Iris. The Goo Goo Dolls. Have you ever heard it before?”

“Not until now.”

“You’re missing out.” She said knowingly. Evie-Mae was a connoisseur of music. She had the best taste in tunes ever, or so she thought. That’s why she was so good at her job.

 And all I can taste is this moment

And all I can breathe is your life

When sooner or later it's over

I just don't wanna miss you tonight

Evie continued to hum along to the music and Harry continued to stare longingly out the window.

“I’m Evie-Mae—Em, by the way.” Harry still wasn’t sure about this whole thing. He could not, absolutely could not, miss this bus and this was all just a distraction.

“Harry.”