Four

If you like my story, please vote and comment! I'd love to hear what you think xx. 

“I suppose you’ll want to hear the third song that changed my life, then?”  Em asked, standing up from her stool behind the counter.

“If you want to share it.” Harry nodded.

“I want to share it, but I think I’ll play this one for you myself.” She got up and walked to a corner of the store, where sat a little, ancient looking piano. She took a seat on the bench and placed her long slender fingers on the keys, letting the notes fill the air.

July 23, 2005

Evie-Mae wandered up the steps of her great-aunt’s house, finding no interest in the party going on downstairs. Nobody would miss her anyway. Dressed in her blue and white sundress, a bow holding her hair into place, her curious  twelve year old self explored the upper floor.

    She peered in each door, finding nothing but beds and dressers, the inhabitants nowhere near. It was the last door on the left that intrigued her. It was a living room of sorts. Two couches in the middle, a coffee table between them. But the real gem of the room was the piano against the back wall. Em’s eyes wide with wonder, she walked over and sat gingerly on the stool. Her fingers ghosted over the keys, scared to press it down for the first time. But after she did it, she never stopped.

    Hours later, when the party was winding down, voices in the doorway woke her from her musical coma.

   “You’ll have to buy her a piano.”

Present

As she reached the end of the song, Em stopped and got up, walking back to the front of the store.

“That was amazing.”

“Thanks.”

“I would never have pegged you for a piano player.”

“A piano prodigy, actually.” Em said, a smile taking over her lips.

“Huh.” He said, his head tipped back in thought. Again, the pair was silent for awhile.