Seer

They were sworn to secrecy. Which meant a few strange days passed in the workshop for Lanna. She made cosmetics and formulae as she always had. As far as the court knew, Assistant Li had been ill and Chowa had cured her.

Three days after the test Lanna awoke in her room for the last time. The Seer would be in a room within the Emperor's corridor by the end of the day. The Hall pulsed with the news that Ashioto wished to make an announcement. Such things were only reserved for significant shifts in internal palace structure.

Was Ceseed to be made first in name at last? Was Orphony to be demoted? Was a minister to become an adviser?

The newly prepared bedroom in the Imperial corridor didn't go unnoticed. Would a new concubine enter the hall? One of import that warranted an announcement? That could shake the Hall of Flowers and make many a petal fall.

Chowa sold out of cosmetics.

Lanna dressed in what she had been instructed to wear. The Seer had some sort of formal dress: dove-grey silks of the most exquisite silk, with the symbol of the Empire stitched into the hems and cuffs – the white and blue plumage of the kelen picked out in bright colours that contrasted sharply with the dull colour of the silk. A hood that would hide Lanna's head fit snugly over her scalp and didn't irritate her healing wound, now freed of staples.

Frez came to help her apply face paint; she still lacked skill with it.

Preparations complete, she threw a black cloak over her shoulders. It covered her from hem to head. Until she was announced, Lanna could be vulnerable. With a plot to kill the Emperor festering in the palace, the announcement of a seer would either stop it dead or force those plotting to act with more speed.

Her life would change after the announcement but it didn't matter: Lanna would do what she must. Her family were in Imperial lands; the nation needed to remain stable for their sake. It was easier to think of things that way; instead of a sea of faceless people, she saw her parents and brother. They had given everything up for her. Fled the clans for her benefit. Now they would want for nothing. Their daughter was to be Seer.

'From this day, you will walk on platinum,' Chowa said as they moved down the hallway and out into the covered path that led to the Hall of Law.

She blinked at the rainy and humid afternoon, drizzle wetting her painted face. Still, she appreciated being out of the Hall of Flowers.

The Hall of Law loomed before her in its white splendour, and she admired the ancient carvings of extinct trees on the outside before being swallowed by the gloom within.

Inside, the aged white stone blended with contemporary ivory and mother-of-pearl inlays. The walls of the corridors showed scenes of the Empire's history, carved into the ancient blocks. Imperial armies were picked out in white and jade; enemies and Augs in obsidian and onyx.

Lanna frowned. Augs were pale in colour. Everyone knew that. It was why Southerners were insulted with 'Aug spawn', the vile insult Lanna now knew had a basis in horrific truth. That information still didn't sit well with her. She really was Aug spawn.

The corridors radiated off to the official sectors – treasury, infrastructure, education, health, trade, diplomatic, legislature, virtue, Imperial – the main arteries of the building empty of the usual constant bustle of officials. Everyone would be within the main hall. Only palace guards stalked the corridors. They seemed too large and bulky to Lanna's eyes, so accustomed to seeing female guards she had almost forgotten it was a traditionally male role.

Ranks of men parted and bowed as Lanna and those escorting her passed. They had no idea who she was and yet the fact Chowa walked a deferential pace behind her meant she was of high rank.