Too The Moon and Back.

“Spin me!” She shouts, extending her arm and allowing him to take it, covered in the soft wool of her gray gloves. Lifting her arm above her head, he spin her in a circle while she laughs, the snow falling in soft pillows around us, her strikingly red lips curled up into a smile until he stops spinning her. Stopping, she looks at the boy, eyes bright and full of life. Her skin is absolutely perfect, even though she says she has bad skin, he can’t find a single imperfection. The girl’s hair is tucked inside a beanie, only a few stray hairs sticking out here and there, and giant, brown orbs that remind him of chocolate stare back. “I love you, so so much.” He whispers, the wind carrying the words while the snow falls between them.

Her cheeks turn red, and he is unsure if it is from the comment or the cold weather. Either way, he leans in and pecks her lips. Chapped, they taste like mint lip balm she has been applying religiously. “I love you to the moon and back,” she returns.

I love you more than all the stars in the sky.” He challenges. Her nose crinkles, and he temporarily falls in love with her all over again. “More than all the sand on all the beaches in the world.”

More than a fat kid loves cake.”

Alex!” A playful punch socks him in the arm before he slings an arm around her, pulling her in tight against his black jacket. “It’s true though!”

Way to kill the mood.”

Alex merely sticks his tongue out at him, exhaling, her breath coming out in steamy little puffs. There’s a sudden beep that fills the air that was once filled with laughs. “Welp, time to go get ready for work.”

Do you really have to? It’s almost Christmas Eve.” Her bright, mirth filled chuckle makes him smile a little. “Tell that to the people who get hurt during the Holidays and to the hospitals that are understaffed.” He frowns, but accepts that she does have to work, and she’s damn proud of her job as an RN. “Okay, but promise me that you won’t be home late?”

I can’t promise that, but I’ll try, sweetie.” And that’s really all he can ask for.

They head back home, stopping only for a cup of their favorite coffee, which was a ritual they had ever since they started dating and had to run in to shield themselves from a sudden downpour that left them drenched. Ever since, the coffee has become a small, but important thing in their lives, and laugh the entire way back to their home.

“Babe, can’t you stay here and play nurse with me instead?” Wrapping his arms around her waist while she fixed her make up in the hallway mirror. “Sorry, sweetheart. We already discussed that these scrubs are for work only, no play.” Nipping at her neck, she gives him a gentle bump on the head. “Fine, fine. Another day, then?”

You know it.” Squirming free of his arms and grabbing her jacket and purse, she heads for the door, but he stops her. “Wait!” He calls out, “I love you to the moon and back.” Her nose does the adorable crinkling thing Alex loves so much, and she replies, “and I love you more than all the stars in the sky.” With that, he gives her a final kiss on the nose and turns away. She shrugs on her jacket and opens the door, stepping out.

He shook his head, looking over to the glowing Christmas tree that was finely decorated with ornaments and presents, including one for Jack that was filled with coal as a prank. A soft smile crept across his face, earlier in the day his wife mentioned that soon, they would have to presents for more than just two. And he couldn’t wait for that day.

Suddenly, the door swung open just enough for her to pop her head in and shout: “JUST KNOW THAT I LOVE YOU MORE!” Before slamming again, giving him no time to react to the sudden words.