Chapter 21: Change of Heart

Subaru P.O.V

In the next morning after the ball, we heard about everything. About how Ayato was stabbed by a Mukami bastard.

But what's bothering me the most is that the Awakening is near. Lately, it feels like we're back to Zero. I couldn't take it any longer and decided to step in my brothers' quarrels.

"Will you guys shut the f*ck*ng hell up!?" Then everyone looked at me.

"Eh? Why talk now?"

"We were just getting started~"

"And you had to join this. Right, Teddy?"

The triplets said one after another.

"Excuse me! You Son of B*tch*s just quarrel there all of the time like f*ck*ng dogs! And we're all going to be late you M*th*rf*ck*rs!" I said out in frustration.

Reiji seemed to get my point and got everyone to fix themselves. Seriously! They should have a system for f*ck's sake!

[A/N: Sorry for all the cussing parts and more of it to come as you advance. I'm sorry]

"Kuma-kun" I felt someone hug me from behind.

"Please calm down" she said as she hugged me tighter.

"I don't like seeing you like that. You get me worried" I heard worry in her voice.

"But why?" I ask her.

"I care for you. I know it's wrong since I'm Ayato's property but I care for you" She said as she was in pain.

"I can't even take it anymore"

"Why?"

"He's being rougher and more demanding than usual. It hurts, Subaru" I then turned around as I free myself from Rie's hug.

"Those bite marks are very fresh and you look very pale" I said as I checked her out if there was any other bite marks.

"And your wrists, were they chained?" She just nodded.

"Hey, I promise you that I'll protect you for a while until Ayato comes back to senses" She then nodded and thanked me as we head to the limo.

Then we had a whole load of exams at school this day and Rie was very happy.

"Kuma-kun! I got the highest exam score in Japanese Literature!" She then hugged me and then hugged me.

"Hey! When did you arrive here anyways?"

"Just a few minutes ago, Kuma-kun. I couldn't wait to tell you this"

"Why not Ayato?"

"He was angry at me cause he said it wasn't possible. He even hit me and bit me" Then tears streamed down Rie's cheeks.

"Why did he change so much? I-I loved him and...I...I even saved him from death" she was now crying a lot.

"Does he hate me because I was stronger than him? Because I was better than him? Tell me!" She's confused right now.

"Am I disgusting?"

"No"

"Then why? Why did he change so much?"

"The Awakening is near and I guess since he's the one you and Yui influenced the most, I guess he's being the first to be affected by it"

"Then it's my fault" She said as she dropped her head and faced the floor.

"It isn't your fault, okay?" I said to her as I rub her back in a soothing way as I hugged her.

"Thank you, Kuma-kun. Promise me you'll never change okay?"

"I promise"