1

The sirens wailed through the dimming light of day, reminding her of why she loathed this place. Dressed in sweat, Melody realised a exasperated sigh as she swung her shovel into the bag weighing down her frail shoulders. Further up, the sun was setting, the blinding light fading and being replaced by constellations of stars that lined the navy night sky.

Everything inside her willed for her to run, sprint until her legs could not hold her any longer and collapse onto the soft grass as she watched the sun descend behind the horizon, painting the sky in red and orange. Closing her eyes and imagining the scene a little longer, she promised herself that one day, someday she'll do it.

When her eyes finally opened, they involuntarily turned to the east wall. There were four walls placed such that they enclosed them into a box. The walls were made of cheap brick that could break at any moment, and actually was broken on the side of the said east wall. Ivy vines and more clung onto the bricks as if their lives depended on it. There were also ladders leading up the wall from their past attempts to escape.

"We can't leave," Aira had once said after waking up from one of the chilling dreams that gave them a glimpse of their situation. She was shivering as she uttered the words, pale as a corspe and cold as ice. With her legs tucked against her chest, she spoke once more, "We can't ever leave. They won't let us."

They. No one knew who they were or what role they played in all this, but one thing was for sure: they, whoever they were, were the reason they were here. The reason they were the only ones left.

It was hard to believe that everything in front of her right now tangible or not was not real. That this was not the life she lived before. All memories from before this way of life were vague. She only remembered that her name was Melody and she once had a family. A real family, not the girls she was in here with. An older sister and two loving parents... Maybe even a hamster.

A thought invaded her mind whilst glancing at the wall. She had to escape. It was certain death, she knew that much. She'd heard the remorseful screams the others she had once known make as they were killed on the other side and had even seen their remains thrown over the wall the next day. But how much worse could death be than the monotonous, tiresome life she already lived in Pen.

That's what they called the place: the Pen. Brea had once said it makes it seem less of a jail and more of a daycare. Melody admired her optimism but also sometimes found her philosophies irritating. Sometimes she wished Brea saw how dire the situation really was and realised there's no silver lining to their lives. Then again, Brea was only fourteen. She needed the hope. Quite frankly, they all did.

When her eyes finally unlocked with the crack in the east wall, they met Harri's glare. The girl opposite her wore a grey leather jumpsuit with a 'K' written in bold, bronze letters. In her hand, she held an identical shovel to Melody's but hers was more worn down. Harri had been there the longest of all girls along with Aira. While Melody had been there the shortest amount of time.

"Don't even think of it," Harri's voice was hoarse, her warning painting goosebumps across Mel's skin.

With a gulp, the latter nodded but the snarl on Harri's face only meant she doubted the other. Her eyes scanned her for a couple of minutes in disgust before she spat out, "You look terrible."

A dry laugh slipped off Melody's lips.

"You don't look like the prettiest girl out here either, princess."

With a curve forming along one side of her lips, Harri gave her a slightly impressed look. But mind you, when I say slightly, I mean barely even noticeable to anyone unfamiliar with her.

"Let's get back to the shed," she motioned in its direction. "Before those cursed things find us."

So I just realised this is quite a bit like the Maze Runner so far... Oops

With many people currently self-isolating, I decided to make a story to keep both you guys and I busy until its safe to leave our houses again. Also, with my exams cancelled now, I hope I will have more time to update this story. Thanks for reading this chapter and I will update soon.

~SpicyThaiChicken