10

Words wouldn't even come close to describing the tension that enveloped the two groups as they sat down to have dinner together. The trout Mia had only barely managed to catch at midday did little to satisfy all their hunger but it certainly was better than nothing. In the cave they used as a shelter from the jungle life, no words were exchanged that night.

Melody had found the cave on their third day exploring the jungle. It was a wide opening in the side of a cliff, hidden away from the rest of the jungle and had more than enough room to accommodate them all. Brea had called it a coincidence to which Mia quickly agreed. Mel knew better. The creators wanted them to find this place. Why? She had no clue and that's what made this discovery all the more unsettling. But it did the job of protecting them for now so she deemed it safe. For now.

"Ace of Hearts."

The words echoed around the cave a couple of times before finally fading into the night. The first words exchanged between the two groups in the cave began with Seungmin reading the back of her leather jumpsuit. An amused scoff followed it but Melody chose to ignore it, keeping her gaze fixed on the jungle ahead of them.

"What's that supposed to mean?" He continued before making his presence known by sitting beside her.

She shrugged.

"Up until a few hours ago I didn't even know there was another Ace," she muttered. "Let alone another group of people."

"Well, there's got to be a reason we have these words on our jumpsuits... And a reason we found each other."

"We probably need to join forces to escape this place."

"Probably," he hummed. "I just hope there really is an escape."

Mel furrowed her eyebrows, glancing at him, "why wouldn't there be?"

"I don't know... I just have a feeling there isn't one."

"So, what? Are we just supposed to die in here? There's got to be a way out... There has to be."

Seungmin simply shrugged.

"And if there isn't?"

"I'm not going to die in here," she uttered sternly. "I have a family waiting for me on the other side."

"That's what I've always wondered about. I have memories of a loving family, of my two parents and older sister. But if they loved me so much, why am I here and not with them? If they loved me so much, why did they sign me up for my death?"

Melody sighed. He was right. If all the vague memories she had of her family were real, what would have landed her in this game of survival? Things weren't matching up. Ends weren't meeting. It wouldn't be the first time they tricked her into believing a fake reality.

"Maybe it was to save you," she whispered, more to herself than Seungmin.

He scoffed, "How so?"

"Perhaps the world out there is worse."

"What could possibly be worse than this place? I thought the Pen was bad, only to find out it was only the tip of the iceberg. The further we go, the worse things will be. I don't see how the outside world could be worse than this. I don't remember there being any wolves out there."

"We have no solid memories of that world. We know nothing about it. There must have been a reason they erased our memories."

Seungmin sighed, leaning back and raising an eyebrow at her.

"In that case, are you sure you want to escape?"

She opened her mouth to respond but found herself almost instantly closing it. His statement was like a jab to everything she believed, everything she had wished to become of her life. She couldn't help but feel a little deflated.

He chuckled softly upon noticing the confused pout adorning her face. Running a hand through his hair, he added, "of course, I could be wrong. I've been in here for years and although an escape sounds amazing, I can't help but think the worst will come from it."

"No, no," Mel sighed. "You're right. I've always been so focused on there being an escape that I just... I just refused to believe that maybe it didn't exist."

"It might," he shrugged. "Look, I didn't mean to make you question everything. I've never really had the chance to voice my opinions on all of this so excuse me if I got too carried away... I should go sleep now. I think perhaps the exhaustion is getting to my brain."

She simply nodded in response, gazing on the jungle again but Seungmin could tell she wasn't particularly focusing on it.

"You know," he cleared his throat. "You could do with some sleep too."

"Someone's going to have to keep an eye out. If not me then who?"

A part of him wanted to continue trying to convince her to sleep but decided against it. After all, she probably knew what she was doing.

So, I think I'm back but since it's been so long since I've written, my writing might be all over the place and not flow that well but please bear with me. Thanks for all the support ❤️❤️

~SpicyThaiChicken