Prologue

• Dedicated to my mother(Mumtaz Begum Choudhury)

She was running. She didn't know from what, she couldn't see it, but she definitely could feel one thing-- Fear. True and absolute fear coursed through her veins, threatening to swallow her whole. Her heart hammered violently against her ribs, her legs ached for a rest, and her breath was ragged; yet she ran, truly afraid of what was pursuing her slowly yet steadily through that dark, macabre and uninviting warehouse behind some poor man's farm.

She ran, ran for as fast as she could. She turned back to look at her predator, but could only see a mixture of conspicuous shadows of cats chasing field mice, and a mist-like canopy that surrounded her, restricting her vision. Yet she knew it was there-- it was too formidable and ghastly to be human-- wanting to rip her throat out or worse yet, absorb her powers, just like her ancestors had done to it years ago. She tried using her powers; tried to summon a tornado of air, or give a blast of fire; but it was to no avail. She was weak, her powers just wouldn't work... and Fear had gripped onto every cell of her body and was refusing to let go.

I must keep running, the girl thought, frantically trying not to trip over her steps, I must reach the temple. It can't be that far away! Just keep running Lori, keep running!

Distracted by her thoughts, she did not realise that she had exited the warehouse and was out in the open field, vulnerable to any attack from any direction. Ignoring every instinct, she stopped, trying to find another escape route when a cold, raspy yet bold voice spoke menacingly into her mind

"Oh no, my lovely lass! Do not try to run anywhere! You yourself know what you are up against. You can't run, you can't hide, and you certainly can't escape my wrath. Now face what you made me suffer all those years ago!"

From the dark swirling shadows behind her, emerged a vaguely humanoid figure-- as tall as the ceiling of the warehouse, and shrouded in black. It's features weren't clearly visible, but she didn't need to see to know that it was smirking behing the sinister camouflouge... smirking because its victory was assured. She instantly became paralysed with fear, and the events of that fateful evening all those centuries ago came crashing down upon her. The power, the joy, the triumph-- all of which now seemed to be a distant memory was the only thing that helped her maintain her calm. She had defeated it then, she could defeat it now, couldn't she? Hell, she was immortal-- she couldn't DIE!

From the minute courage that she acquired, she closed her eyes and thought about all the power that she had-- Fire, Water, Air, Earth, and Spirit-- all of which could destroy all of mankind at once, if used properly. She thought about all the good she had done; all the bad she had gotten away with; and all the years she had lived. She willed all the elements to take form from within her and appear at her fingertips. She raised both her hands and a gigantic sphere of swirling elements was created. She put every ounce of her energy, every shard of will power, and every drop of her power resource into those two deathly spheres that would surely be the death of the figure standing opposite her.

A sudden feeling of deja-vu tugged at the edges of her memory as she smirked, preparing to launch the ball of death at her assailent. She had defeated it before, she could defeat it now; she had defeated it before, she could defeat it now-- she kept repeating the mantra to keep Fear out of her swirling element-sphere.

She bent slightly forward and launched the ball of doom at her opponent. The multicoloured sphere grew larger and larger as it approached the figure, and collided with it with a loud BANG! The door of the warehouse which was just behind the figure broke into millions of splinters, and the all the corn in the field within a 1 mile radius of the blast either shrivelled up or got totally incinerated. The air smelt of damp earth after a heavy rainfall mixed with a tinge of a salty aftertaste. Where the sphere collided with the figure, there was a huge cloud of smoke and certain inquisitive rats and insects who dared to get too close to the blast were lying dead here and there, but otherwise there was no sign of movement or any out-of-the-ordinary thing. In fact, it was eerily silent.

BINGO.

She was about to turn and walk away, when suddenly, a booming voice filled the valley. " YOU SILLY GIRL! YOU THINK YOU CAN DEFEAT ME WITH THIS PETTY MAGIC NONSENSE OF YOURS! EVEN ALL THE ELEMENTS TOGETHER CAN'T DEFEAT ME! I SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE RIGHTFUL KING OF THE PALACE! I SHOULD HAVE BEEN GIVEN THE RESPECT I DESERVED! NOW DIE!!"

The air suddenly turned dark and the girl was shocked in her place. How did this happen? Was that even possible? How...?

Muddled up and confused, she did not notice the sudden drop in temperature all around her. She did not even notice the sinister smile of the macabre and deadly villain opposite her. Nor did she see it raise its hand to deliver the final death blow. But she did see the blinding white flash of power surging through the air and hit her with a painful bang. And that's when everything turned black for the final time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HEY GUYS! THIS IS MY FIRST (HORRIBLE) ATTEMPT AT WRITING. SO PLEASE DON'T FRGET TO SHARE, COMMENT AND VOTE! SUGGESTIONS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME!

IN CASE YOU GUYS WANNA CONTACT ME, MY SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTS ARE:
INSTAGRAM- @tahira_cho
SNAPCHAT- @tahira_cho101

------------------------------>
IMAGE OF THE GIRL THAT WAS IN DANGER IN THE PROLOGUE(LORI OR LORILEI)