Bon Jovi - Livin' On A Prayer

Livin' On A Prayer is a song of Bon Jovi released 1986, which was written by Jon Bon Jovi, Richie Sambora and Desmond Child (another musician). The song takes part on the album "Slippery When Wet".

The song deals with the "worker couple" Tommy and Gina

The song deals with the "worker couple" Tommy and Gina. They stand for the average New Jersey residents of the 80s, who are the cliché of the poor worker versus the well-off New Yorker ("Tommy used to work on the docks" and "Gina works the diner all day").

Bon Jovi wanted to connect the song to their homeplace in New Jersey, a concern they have promoted since the founding of the band.

The main task of the song should be to give people hope that they will get through everything ("We're half way there, [...] take my hand, we'll make it I swear"). At the end of the song the melody of the chorus gets higher to demonstrate a Happy End.

"I wrote that song during the Reagan era and the trickle-down economics are really inspirational to writing songs..."

- Jon Bon Jovi

At first Jon Bon Jovi didn't like thr song and he didn't want to have it on the album, especially because it was difficult for him to sing the high melody. Richie Sambora, the guitarist of the band, liked the song and he finally was able to convince him to revise Livin' On A Prayer with new guitar solos, new drum rhythms and the use of a talkbox.

During their tours, related to the success of the album, Jon Bon Jovi got problems with his voice, because, among other things, this song has some high notes and the band had to play the song very often. He even needed the help of a vocal coach, but he managed to tackle these problems.
Now Jon Bon Jovi lets out the high parts of the song during the live performances.

In Canada, USA, New Zeeland and Northway the song immediately rised up to be a number one hit.

The first version appeared as Hidden Track 2004 in the CD box 100,000,000 Bon Jovi fans Can't Be Wrong. Another version can be found on the US version of their best-of album Cross Road: Prayer 94'.

The acustic version of Livin' On A Prayer was also played at the VMA's 1989.

Bon Jovi used this song for many occasions, for example, after the terrorist attacks on the 11th of September 2001. The band presented in memory of the dead people and in the presence of the bereaved a live acoustic version.

The music video was shot on the 17th of September 1986 at the Grand Olympic Auditorium Downtown Los Angeles, California, directed by Wayne Isham.

Lyrics:

Once upon a time not so long ago
Tommy used to work on the docks, union's been on strike
He's down on his luck, it's tough, so tough
Gina works the diner all day working for her man
She brings home her pay, for love, for love

She says, we've got to hold on to what we've got
It doesn't make a difference if we make it or not
We've got each other and that's a lot for love
We'll give it a shot

Woah, we're half way there
Woah, livin' on a prayer
Take my hand, we'll make it I swear
Woah, livin' on a prayer

Tommy's got his six-string in hock
Now he's holding in what he used to make it talk
So tough, it's tough
Gina dreams of running away
When she cries in the night, Tommy whispers
Baby, it's okay, someday

We've got to hold on to what we've got
It doesn't make a difference if we make it or not
We've got each other and that's a lot for love
We'll give it a shot

Woah, we're half way there
Woah, livin' on a prayer
Take my hand, we'll make it I swear
Woah, livin' on a prayer
Livin' on a prayer

Oh, we've got to hold on, ready or not
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got
Woah, we're half way there
Woah, livin' on a prayer
Take my hand, we'll make it I swear
Woah, livin' on a prayer

Woah, we're half way there
Woah, livin' on a prayer
Take my hand, we'll make it I swear
Woah, livin' on a prayer

Woah, we're half way there
Woah, livin' on a prayer
Take my hand, we'll make it I swear
Woah, livin' on a prayer