Aerosmith - Angel

Angel is a Rock ballad by the american band Aerosmith. The song was written by the lead singer Steven Tyler (in addition with Desmond Child).

The song takes place on the album "Permanent Vacation" with the B-side "Girl Keeps Coming Apart". The single was recorded in 1987 and finally released in 1988 by Geffen. Angel quickly climbed to number 3 on the Billboard Hot 100, Aerosmith's highest charting single ever at this time. Altough the song ranks second behind the 1998 hit "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" to top the Hot 100.

 Altough the song ranks second behind the 1998 hit "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" to top the Hot 100

Steven Tyler wrote Angel together with Desmond Child (a sucessful songwriter at his time). Aerosmith released two underperforming albums "Rock in a Hard Place" (1982) and "Done with Mirrors" (1985). John Kalodner of Geffen Records insisted to help Aerosmith with writers to get their old sucess back. At first the band wasn't convinced at all about this idea, but were impressed when Desmond Child helped them to get their old hits like "Dude Looks Like A Lady" back.

So, their next composition was Angel, which didn't really sounded like Aerosmith in comparison to "Dude Looks Like A Lady". It's about love, a couple which gets together and help each other - nothing you couldn't except from the band, after their old Rockhits.

The line "Come and save me tonight", was spotted by their fans. Tyler knew he was compromising and wouldn't have high expections on the song to get popular.

John Kalodner in the band's biography "Walk This Way": "Tyler says that I ruined his career by making him write 'Angel' with Desmond."

The story behind: Steven is looking to her kinda like a savior. He loves her and she seems to be the only one who is keeping him alive and takes his pain away. It shows the true love a man has for his woman.

In the music video for Angel members of the band play their instruments, while Steven Tyler is searching for a mysterious ethereal woman. Even the music video get high sucess on MTV. It was directed by Marty Callner, the same director as in "Dude Looks Like A Lady".
The video includes parts of their 1988 North American tour.

Lyrics:

I'm alone, yeah, I don't know if I can face the night
I'm in tears and the cryin' that I do is for you
I want your love
Let's break the walls between us
Don't make it tough
I'll put away my pride
Enough's enough
I've suffered and I've seen the light

Bayayby, you're my angel
Come and save me tonight
You're my angel
Come and make it alright

Don't know what I'm gonna do about this feeling inside
Yes it's true, loneliness took me for a ride
Without your love I'm nothing but a beggar
Without your love a dog without a bone
What can I do? I'm sleepin' in this bed alone

Bayayby, you're my angel
Come and save me tonight
You're my angel
Come and make it alright

Come and save me tonight
You're the reason I live
You're the reason I die
You're the reason I give when I break down and cry
Don't need no reason why
Baby, baby, bayayby
You're my angel
Come and save me tonight
You're my angel
Yeah, come and make it alright
You're my angel
Come and save me tonight
You're my angel
Come and take me alright
Come and save me tonight