Chapter 4: It burns

(( Luke's POV ))

I fell asleep on the couch that night after staying up thinking about what Clem had asked me. She was obviously ashamed, she went and locked herself in the bedroom upstairs.  She had nothing to be ashamed of, I had been meaning to tell Clementine that I had been developing feelings for her, but I guess I made her feel uncomfortable.

My eyes blinked open, I sniffed the air. Smoke... I thought, I felt really hot, like I was baking in an oven. To my horror, I realized that our cabin was on fire. Smoke filled the room, hot embers feel on my skin and burned me. The first thing that crossed my mind was Clementine, I got up off the burning couch and stumbled up the crumbling stairs.

My leg fell through the stair case, it burned my skin and I screamed out in pain. I jerked my leg out of the hole and continued to run up the stairs, I reached Clem's door and tried to open it, but the hot metal burned my palm.

"AAGHHAAAAHGGAAAA!!!" I screamed again, clenching my hand. I banged on the door, "CLEM! ITS ME, LUKE! ALRIGHT, YOU GOTTA GET OUT OF THERE!" there was no response, just the sound of burning cabin wood. I kicked the door, nothing. I kicked it a second time, still nothing. I finally kicked it a third time, applying all my pissed off energy. The door bursted open, seeing nothing but smoke, I entered the room.

"Clem..." I coughed, breathing in smoke. Then I saw the bed's clear figure in the smoke, I yanked the sheets off. Clementine layed there on the bed, she had passed out from inhaling all the smoke.

"I'm gonna get you out of here Clem..." I said. Gently, I picked up her body off the bed. I cradled her back down the stairs and out the front door. Once out of the path of the fire, I collapsed in the snow. My vision went blurry, and the last thing I saw was the cabin burning to the ground.