Lets Get to Work

It's been a long day. I got off a plane, arrived at my new home and sorted out my wardrobe and bathroom. I'm about to get into bed, and I couldn't be happier! I sit on the edge of my bed and slip off my comfy ugg boots. I fluff up my pillow a little.

I walk over to the big window in my room and take in the view. My room is lit with the dim light of my lamp and the lights of the buildings in LA, shining through my window. I gently tug at the curtains and close the window to dim the light a little. I literally flop onto my bed and pull the crisp white sheets over my waist.

I switch the light off and fall asleep to the extremely subtle sound of music coming from buildings surrounding me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I open my eyes and freak out for a second. Where am I?! Suddenly I remember that I'm not going to be waking up to glow-in-the-dark stars on my old bedroom ceiling anymore. This is real life. I turn to the alarm clock which reads 7:12.

My first time going to college is at 11:30, so I have time. I roll over and out my comfortable slippers back in and slide back the curtains revealing the sun rays beaming into my room and the cheerfulness of the city.

I wipe my eyes and head to the sitting area and open all the windows, making it nice and light. I open my fridge and realise I have nothing in it. Darn! I live by myself which means I need to do my own food shopping.

I remove my pyjama shorts and replace them with leggings. I keep on my pyjama top because it can totally pass as a regular shirt, right?

I neaten up my messy top knot and slip on some sneakers and head down the corridor or the hotel. There is a local Trader Joes near me, so I go there and pick up some bread, eggs, milk, chocolate, vegetables, fruits, pasta, canned food/soup, the usual stuff. With my arms full of shopping bags, I feel relieved that the grocery store is only a 10 minute walk away. I swing open the door to my hotel and pack everything into my cupboards and fridge.

I make an egg on toast and eat it speedily. The clock reads 8:30, and I need to pick up my hire car at 9:00. Once I'm done eating I put on an appropriate shirt and go to the front of the hotel to catch a cab.

The cab driver takes me to the airport, where I'll be picking up my car.

When we arrive at the airport, I get handed a pair of keys and I'm directed to my car. It's a little car, but it's so adorable and just the right size for me. It reminds me of a lady bug.

I thank my cab driver and the car lady and take my new car to a local cafe for brunch. I have had starbucks before, but I'm sick of that common white girl stuff. I pull up at a red brick cafe with plants surrounding and a chalkboard with the specials of the day on it. I sit down on a iron rounded table and wait for the waitress.

I open up a hardcover black menu with curly writing.

"Hello sunshine, what can I get for you?" A cheery lady says with a smile on her face. People in California are so nice. I scan the menu quickly and make a selection. I wanted to get something special since it was my first time ordering something in LA!

"Hi, an iced chocolate and a slice of raspberry sponge would be great, thank you." I smile back. She nods and turns off smiling.

I look around to admire the beautiful cafe. The red brick showed all around the room, though some parts were covered by dark vines draped gracefully along the wall. Pretty little plants were on the centre of each table, including mine. The waitresses were wearing a pretty burgundy outfit with white frills. They looked cute!

A younger lady comes towards me holding a large cup and a slice of cake on it and places it on my table. "Enjoy", she says and smiles. I thank her and look at my meal.

Thick chocolate is drizzled all around the cup. Whipped cream piles high over the rim of the glass. Chunks of ice and ice-cream are packed into the cup.

A delicate slice of vanilla sponge with raspberry swirls is on another plate I take my fork and dig right in. This is heaven!