Chapter 33

Marco's POV

Shit. What have I done? I just let my whole world crumble around me. I could still feel the stinging of my palm after I hit her. I.... was helpless. I wanted her to fight back. Yell at me. But, nothing of that sort happened.

She looked at me like the fire in her eyes has been dowsed with ice water, if anything it made the purple more pale. I was not used to it, it unnerved me. I wanted her to give freely like she always does but she didn't. It was like she just crawled right back inside some invisible shell and no matter how hard I try she was unreachable. She moved her eyes more slowly, like they're heavy, an effort to move. I wanted to crack my usual jokes but I knew that she won't laugh. I was standing right next to her but she might as well be on the moon.

Like an extinguished candle her eyes melted into an ever growing darkness of misery and despair, no longer flickering with the fire of spirit.

Her eyes have frozen over like the surface of a winter puddle, robbing them of their usual warmth. She's in there, I know it, but it's like she just took a huge step back from life. I want to reach in and tell her it isn't hopeless, but she won't believe me. I want to rekindle her heat but her insides are too damp with uncried tears. I always knew she had pain inside, but now its visible on her face and I wish it would go away. I know that's a selfish want, people have a right to their pain, they don't ask for it - it just arrives like the gift you never wanted.

She was smiling a little, a smile with a twist to it, like the smile of a child who is determined not to weep. Her eyes brimmed with unshed tears. I knew I've fucked up. That I won't get her back, no matter what I do. There is no turning back now. She sniffed, and eyed Julia who had a smirk on her face. I shouldn't have done it. I shouldn't have taken Addy's advice. She looked heart broken. She sniffed another sniff, and ran outside. I just stood there like a rock.

Blaze's POV

I had always been so self-conscious when I cried but now I just gave way to the enormity of my grief. I sobbed into my hands and the tears dripped between my fingers, raining down onto the parched soil. My breathing was ragged, gasping and the strength left my legs. I sank to my knees not caring about the grit that dug into my knees. I was noisy, my skin was blotched but there was no-one there to witness it let alone come to comfort me. I could run a mile in any direction and not find another soul. I cried until no more tears came, but still the emptiness and sorrow remained.

I sat there, as I felt my heart cracking like glass, spreading its pieces throughout my body. I could hardly bare the sight, as I watched him hold hands with another girl, the way he used to hold my own. I couldn't bear that he slapped me for another girl. It felt as if my bright world had gone dark, like a big curtain being pulled across the sky. I stood there longing for his touch again. My heart slowed as I realized, my very first love was no longer mine. While I was drowned in this sadness, someone tapped on my shoulder. I didn't want to talk to anyone. I just wanted them to go.

"Hun, come in. They've left," said my Mom. I didn't know what to feel. Part of me was relieved that he was gone, but a part of me was sad that he had left without even trying to comfort me. I went in rather reluctantly. I heard Jared gasp, but I ignored it knowing well that I probably looked like a rag doll. I didn't even bother to wash my face as my Mom put the plate filled with delicious food in front of me. Strangely, I didn't have the appetite. My Mom looked at me, concern etched on her face.

"You don't want to eat?" She asked, and I shook my head. I really didn't want to eat.

"You are cared about a silly dog?" Asked Jared's friend, who was joining us for dinner. I think his name was something like Raymond. My rage was back again, but only for a moment. Even though I did not feel like it, I yelled at him.