Blurb

I thought of this while in the pool today, and it's just a blurb of a short story, so please enjoy.

Music played in her ears, drowning out the silence. A short melody of instrumentals played before a woman started singing, her voice coated with many layers of emotion. She hadn't heard the song before, but she loved it from the first note. The woman's voice wore thin throughout the song, expressing powerful movements of emotion as the song progressed. The beautiful melodies left her breathless, and she knew the song would stick with her forever. She even cried as she listened to it for a second time with her noise canceling headphones, thinking of all of the people she had lost.

The songs journey started with her listening to it many times, humming it while she was cutting vegetables a week after she first listened to it. This - over the next month or so - slowly transformed into her strumming the chords of the song on her guitar or playing it on the piano as she sung it softly. This transitioned into karaoke night at her favorite restaurant in town, and because of the positive feedback she received, she decided to take it to the streets.

She sat on a bucket on the corner of the street, singing the song until the day wore thin. Her hat was turned up, accepting spare change. Over the weekends that she did it, she collected enough money to pay her rent, something she was close to slipping up on. Small crowds would stop to watch her sing her heart out, some not leaving money, but seeing their reactions was all worth it. Some cried, some smiled. But the same emotion was still reflected in her voice as she sang as the one of the woman's, only crying once on that street corner. Some think that was the moment that changed her life, but she always thought differently.

Someone had apparently spread the news of the girl singing on the corner, and on one afternoon upon walking into her favorite coffee shop, she was asked to do a live performance for two weekends. The money she was payed for it was enough to cover rent for the next six months, and that was when she knew that the song was trying to say something to her. It wasn't just an apology - it was a cry for help that was getting answered through many different actions. The song was deep, but it had an even deeper meaning than that portrayed within the lyrics.

At the shows in the coffee shop, she sang many different songs, but her grand finale was the song. After all of her singing, she felt weary, her voice stretching thin with more emotion as she cried through the lyrics once again. With her voice and guitar in hand, she inflicted powerful emotions on the people around her, and that's when people started telling her that she should take it further.

'Further' meant taking it to the big stage. If she was still in school, she would have entered a talent show or something of the sorts, but that wasn't the case now. She had to take it to the big leagues - a TV show for singing.

Luckily, she was just in time for applications, and when she got home that day, she recorded herself playing the song on the piano. She sent it in, and many weeks passed before she got a response that the company would like to see her for the first round of auditions. That didn't mean much yet, as there were millions of people signed up, but as she moved through auditions, it started to mean more. She sang the same song each time, changing it just slightly to make it better, and started to believe she had a chance.

Then, after the tiring process of many months of auditions, she was told the best news of her life. She was accepted to be in the first round of the TV auditions.

In five months time, she stood on the biggest stage in America, facing millions of people. She had never performed in front of a crowd this large before, but she still got lost in the music as she sang. It was more than anything beyond her wildest dreams, and when she was finished, she crouched down on the stage and cried.

It was a life changing moment, all brought upon by one song.