2

2.

He woke up on a hospital bed two months later.

Unable to move a limb.

All he could do was replaying the scene in his head.

The wedding. The gunshots. One bullet right through his head.

唐毅 (Tang yi).

---//---

"Shaofei! You are awake!"

"..."

"Uh... Are you not able to move? Are you not able to talk?"

"..."

"It's okay Shaofei. The doctor said not to worry. You can go through some therapies and you will be alright again."

Zhaozi's animated voice went soft at the last sentence and Shaofei trusted what he said to be the truth. It had to be.

---//---

Therapy was hell. Shaofei could not move a single muscle.

Zhaozi told him, accidentally, it was caused by the gunshot right through his head.

"IT IS A MIRACLE THAT YOU ARE STILL ALIVE!"

Zhaozi earned a smack from another of his colleague for that.

Shaofei was thankful he had Zhaozi by his side. It kept his mind off things for a while.

---//---

It took Shaofei another three months to move his hands. His other body parts were still unable to function properly. But he was grateful that he made progress.

Somehow, slowly, slowly, Shaofei pulled his hand towards his abdomen. It was as if his body was trying to remember something so distant yet so close.

When the realization dawned on him, he was never been more grateful that his speech ability came first before his hand, because he asked everyone else to move out and be alone for sometime.

He didn't allow anyone other than the nurse to come in for a week after that. Zhaozi and Shaofei's other colleague obeyed the wish if it was to help Shaofei.

Some patients often said they heard unending cries in the middle of the night coming from a certain room. The sound was filled with so much pain, it hurts just to listen to it.

---//---

A year since Shaofei got admitted, he was restored to full health. On the day of his discharge, he quietly asked Zhaozi who was helping him pack.

"Zhaozi."

"Un?"

"Do you happen to know if.... The baby...."

For the first time after Shaofei regained his ability to speak, he felt as if he had lost it again. He couldn't form a sentence, it felt as if his head was shot again, it felt as if his abdomen got torn apart for the second time. Before he knew it, Zhaozi was pulling him into a hug so tight he couldn't help but cry, cry, and cry.

"Ah Fei, it's okay."