6

6.

It is funny how fate seems to deceive us.

Always.

---//---

A few days have passed since Shaofei got into Tangyi's mansion and discovered that his daughter was indeed, alive. It was strange; how everything suddenly seemed to go on about peacefully, it was as if everything became normal.

Shaofei wasn't one to complain when he got to spend every moment of his life with Leia. However, the arrangements Tangyi made for him honestly felt more like it was arranged for Leia. It was for her safety. But what safety? Wasn't the danger coming from Tangyi himself?

---//---

"Jack, you know where Tangyi is right?"

"I don't."

---//---

It was one of those nights where Shaofei wanted to hold Leia close to him, and so he opted to sleep with Leia on the bed instead of looking at her just from outside her crib.

It's weird.

Shaofei thought as he opened his eyes. He checked on the clock at it was 2 am in the morning. He was sure he just woke up from labored breathings fanning on his cheek. It was so close. But when he looked around the bedroom there was no one, and Leia's calm breathing couldn't have been it either.

Shaofei contemplated and decided to get out of bed to check the proximity. He brought his knife just in case. When he got downstairs, it was all dark as usual except the light from the kitchen counter. He thought he must have been getting too paranoid and moved to pour himself a glass of water. It was when he saw the shadow standing in front of the door in black suit. In other times, Shaofei might have been shocked, might just throw the knife at the stranger, but this was no stranger. It was...

唐毅 (Tang yi).

Shaofei walked closer to the figure. He knew Tangyi knew he was coming closer, with a protruding knife on his hand, but the figure didn't move even an inched. Was it labored breathing Shaofei hearing coming from Tangyi? Why?

"Tangyi."

Speaking his name sounded foreign to Shaofei. But there was no answer coming from the man.

"Why...?" Shaofei finally, finally, got the chance to ask the question he wanted to hear the answer to most. But still no answer.

"Tangyi..." Shaofei did not care if he was whining or begging now. He was desperately confused. Why did Tangyi had to orchestrate the killings at the wedding if he was gonna give it back to Shaofei all the same in the end? Why did he put Shaofei through so much pain, if he was gonna give it all back? Was it remorse? Was it regret? After putting a bullet through his head?

This must be a joke.

"It's over."

Tangyi's voice was soft. Or was that exhaustion? Shaofei did not care.

"IT'S NOT! YOU PUT A BULLET THROUGH MY HEAD YOU DICKHEAD! AND WHAT? MADE ME THINK MY DAUGHTER IS DEAD FOR TWO YEARS? JUST TO SHOW UP WITH HER ALL HAPPY LIKE NOTHING HAPPENED? THEN LEAVE AGAIN BEFORE I COULD KILL YOU!? WHY TANGYI WHY!?"

"I'm sorry."

Now, Tangyi's voice was still soft but strained, like he was holding in tears and pain at the same time. He still didn't move even an inch but there was movement on his right hand. He was making a fist. Just like the old times when he tried to hold in his anger, but there was no anger... only pain and sadness.

Shaofei, after letting out all of his outburst, suddenly become so aware of Tangyi's every movement, the strong smell of iron in the room, and the cold thick liquid under his feet.

"Tangyi..."

Knife forgotten on the floor beside him, Shaofei moved closer.

---drips---

"Tangyi..."

Whose blood is that dripping from Tangyi's fist? Is that the blood someone Tangyi just killed? Shaofei thought but he himself knew the answer to that.

No.

"Tangyi."

Shaofei's tone has changed from begging to firm now, and all tears dripping through his eyes were let go unnoticed. Tangyi turned around to face Shaofei, wearing that unreadable mask he always had. No expression, no pain, no smile, no tears.

Shaofei immediately noticed other things such as the darkened spot spreading across Tangyi's white dress shirt under his unbuttoned suit; the rip on the side of his suit, was it a knife? The bruises and cuts drawing blood on Tangyi's face.

"What..."

"I love you, A-Fei."

Tangyi uncurled his fist and reached to the side of Shaofei's cheeks with that blood-soaked hand. It was like his birthday all over again, but there was no cream and blood has replaced all of the memories in between.

At that moment, it was as if the exhaustion caught up to Tangyi all at once and his body collapsed forward. Somehow, as much as Shaofei struggled with his consciousness, he was there to catch Tangyi.

Did I just lose my chance to kill him?

"Idiot."