5

5.

It is funny how fate seems to deceive us.

Again?

---//---

Shaofei's awakening was rather slow, with sudden movement beside him. He opened his eyes dearly and immediately draped a protective arm around Leia, his daughter.

It is hard to believe. Last night, he could have killed Tangyi, left without a trace, and resumed the life he had always imagined two years ago. But the moment he saw Leia, everything changed. Killing Tangyi was still easy, but the aftermath of his doing flashed before his eyes... He was still a murderer and his daughter had to live her life knowing that exact fact about her family.

And don't even asked Shaofei how he knew exactly Leia was his daughter. Mother instincts, they say. Maybe. Maybe also the doe eyes looking at him were the exact eyes he had been seeing stare back at him everyday in the mirror. Maybe those high cheekbones were the perfect depiction of his and Tangyi's genes. Maybe Shaofei could see Tangyi's reflection in each of the soft dumb smile flashed on her face. Maybe it was everything and nothing, ruling down to Tangyi's straightforwardness and truthfulness that convinced Shaofei this was nothing but the truth.

Leia seemed to be getting other ideas rather than waking up, so Shaofei lulled her back to sleep and made a move to get out of bed. He still had unfinished business with Tangyi.

---//---

After shower and some preparations (guns, knives checked), Shaofei went downstairs.

"Jack? What are you doing here? Where is Tangyi?"

"The Boss would be absent for.... A while."

"What do you mean?"

"For the time being, The Boss has entrusted you to take care of Lil Miss Leia."

"This is a joke right?"

"He also had fixed some arrangements for you today. Please let me know when you would be willing to get through the arrangement so I can set it--"

"JACK DON'T PLAY WITH ME RIGHT NOW! WHERE IS TANGYI!?"

"I guess I will call the arrangement now. Please sit down."

"WHAT--"

"Sit. Down."

Shaofei obeyed the mercenary. Another man appeared from previously hidden by the divider. He was an old man in his 50s with a briefcase in his hand. The man was seated across Shaofei and Jack stood behind him. He took out a bunch of paperworks and laid them out on the table.

"Mr. Meng. Please let me introduce myself. I am currently the appointed lawyer of Mr. Tang. I am here to inform you about a few things concerning your -uhm- daughter. Mr. Tang has left detailed instructions about Ms. Leia's future arrangements which personally I think do not need to be discussed right now. Let me see -okay- so the important thing is, in the absence of Mr. Tang, you, Mr. Meng is the rightful guardian of Ms. Leia. However, it is important to know that Ms. Leia is not to be taken out of the precinct of the mansion unless Mr. Tang has given the instruction to do so or an urgent matter that endangered Ms. Leia's safety comes up. If, any attempt on taking Ms. Leia's out of the mansion is made, all Xin Tian Meng's man including Jack has been instructed to take both Mr. Meng and Ms. Leia down."

The lawyer explained a few more legal stuff but seeing Shaofei wasn't listening, he bid his goodbye and left.

"This man must be crazy. Jack?"

"I am sorry to say that I do not have the power to object towards Boss's direct order."

"Tell me one thing. All of this time, were you helping him or were you helping me?"

"Our agreement was to be your informant. And that's what I did."

"YOU FUCKER!"

Had it not been Leia's shouting 'Mama!' from the bedroom, Shaofei would have inched close enough to dip his knife into Jack's unmoving figure. Shaofei relieved his knife and made the move to reach the stairs.

"Shaofei. Boss is doing all of this for you."

Shaofei glared at Jack and left.