ew

Max walked into hell clearly exhausted and fell on the ground. His face starting to burn from the blazing ground but he honestly didn't give two shits. He sighed and eventually got up and sat at Lotus' throne while he checked hell for any people who weren't supposed to be there.

"Max you were gone for so long!" Max raised a brow at the demon who was hiding something behind her back.

"I mean yeah. Why? I've been back for a month why are you saying this just now?" The demon smiled and let a small child come into view. Max's eyes lite up as soon as he saw him. The boy had messy black with deep dark blue and green eyes. His eyes were big and his facial features were soft as he was still a child. His clothes were torn and dirty. He clutched onto the demon's hand tightly hiding behind her and looking at Max with pure fright in his eyes. Max walked over to him and crouched down putting out his hand for him to shake. The boy shook his head.

"This is Shepard, he is another boy Lotus saved as you say it. His family was in a similar situation to Lotus' expect they encouraged him to kill things and other such tragedies," The demon spoke softly like if she spoke too loud the boy would shatter.

Max nodded. "Hey, there bud. I'm safe okay? You can trust me, I know you aren't right now but just try and calm. Lotus is my father, he took me in like you." Shepard looked at him with those big eyes of his, gleaming against the fire of hell. He nodded hesitantly and got out behind the demon.

"W-whats your name sir?" His voice trembled like if he said one wrong thing he'd be shoot on the spot.

Max smiled softly. "Maxwell. Do you mind introducing yourself? I know Shelby did but I wanna hear you do it," Shepard bit his lip and nodded.

"I-I'm Shepard Wilsom..." He fiddled with his hand looking down at the ground.

"Lotus made him half demon already. He's thinking on giving him to another family though-" Max cut her off.

"Like hell he is. I'll take care of him until he's ready for a new family. He's been through a traumatic event you can't just throw him into another family already." Shelby sighed and nodded.

"Are you okay with that Shepard you'll be with Lotus and a family you can trust."

Shepard looked around in a panic for a couple of seconds before scratching at his palm and nodding. Max gently grabbed his hand that was scratching at his palm and held it smiling at him. Shepard teared up looking at him before looking back down.

Shepard walked with Max to the park. Shepard was eyeing Max's hand. Max looked down at him and smiled softly taking his hand in his. Shepard looked up at Max with wide eyes.

"T-This is okay?" Max sighed for pure affection for the child.

"Yeah, bud I'm happy to do this," Max put his finger under his chin lifted his head to look at him before kissing his head softly. Shepard's eyes lite up as he started to smile. Max's smile filled up with just the biggest unapologetic smile. He ruffled his hair and continued walking. Max's affection for the child baffled a lot of people. He basically claimed him. He took the responsibility to get him signed up for school to buy him clothes with his allowance, feed him and help him with homework without blatantly giving him the answer. He helped him get dressed and do his hair, any bullying, getting him a school counselor and making sure his mental health needs were met at school. He did anything he could to help the boy. After a while, he began to get less shy and more energetic, he smiled more often. This took a lot of work on Max's part though

Max slowly entered his room with breakfast where Shepard was sleeping soundly. He came to the bed and sat down by it setting the breakfast down on the table beside his bed.

"Shepard, time to wake up," Shepard sat up quietly and rubbed his eyes looking at the breakfast and smiling softly.

"Your clothes are ready on the dresser, remember to brush your teeth and hair before you go to school okay?" Shepard nodded and began to eat swinging his legs back and forth.

Once it came time for Shepard to do so Max came in and put some coconut oil on the hairbrush. You better know that Gucci ass motherfucker got him a good ass toothbrush and toothpaste. As well as that Max always gave him well-balanced meals to ensure his health was good. Funny enough he learned all of these from Lotus. It took a lot to really get to the boy but he did warm up to people and he learned to trust.

"Shepard do you need new clothes?" Max asked sitting next to him and watching him draw.

"Yeah I do Papa," He was focused on his drawing indicating that what he had just said was on accident. Max began to smile widely.

"Papa?" Shepard looked at him in a panic.

"I-I'm sorry I didn't mean to I said it on instinct if you don't want me to call you that that's fine-"

"Hey hey calm down bud it's okay. If that's what you'd like to call me go ahead," Shepard looked at him in utter confusion like he'd just told the boy fairies were real.

"Really?" Max nodded keeping a calm smile on his face. Shepard began to smile hugging Max tightly. Max just hugged back and chuckled.