0.8

Andrew:

A loud bang slammed on the table I was sitting at. The smell of books, specifically that fresh disgusting scent that new school textbooks give off, hit my nostrils. The chair next to mine screeched as my new partner sat beside me and huffed in exhaustion.

"I understand if you don't want to be my partner--"

"I don't care if you're blind or not, I will not treat you any differently, I just want to get this over with," she spoke sternly and the stack of books in front of me shifted as did the body heat beside me. Her skin slightly brushed against mine.

She felt cold and rough. Not what I'd normally feel in someone's skin.

My fingers traced over the textbooks as I searched for the braille version.

"It's the uh--" she spoke up, but I cut her off as she did to me.

"Like you said, you won't treat me differently, so the least you could do is let me get a book like a normal person would: by myself."

I felt the braille symbols embedded on the textbook and I picked it up. Flipping a few dozen pages at a time before slowing down and finding the page we're working on.

"You'll read page 57 and I'll read page 58," she said and then the silence continued. Heavy, tense and it made me want to rip my useless eyeballs off. Having a disability makes people gain a sixth sense, some say. I feel like mine is sensing people's aura. The less you see their faces, the less blind you are to the heart.

...and I feel like this girl resents me, or just everyone in general.