Chapter 2

Mine own worst enemy . . .

He stared transfixed at the water that trickled through the walls of his hall. It always managed to untroubled him for a few precious moments. Trouble it seemed couldn't be kept away he mused as he saw the grey figure walking toward him.

"Great Elven king Thranduil I am gracious to gain an audience with you." Gandalf said bowing low.

"Some may imagine you a poor wondering istari of good will coming to see how the old friends you have made are doing in this delicate time of peace." His voice rang out clear and cool enthralling all that heard it "I suspect however that you are here for another purpose?"

"I would like to ask you if you ever found the woman that scared you after smaug died" Thranduil s face seemed to darken and close off as well as seemed surprised at the same time.

"I know not of what you speak" he intoned

" You would not forget her. Skin like the purest snow hair as black as a Ravens wing and lips like the reddest blood. A dragon she called friend. "

"She is dead" he answered. Rising and descending to his dais before nodding to the wizard in farewell.

"It is a long journey to the shire from here. You may wish to leave soon after you have rested and eaten. We wouldn't want your journey delayed. "

He walked on toward the paths that led away from the meddling wizard.

"Then why is it my lord that I saw her not a week past. In the mountains north of your kingdom? " the old wizard too a step toward him and settled against his staff. "For a dead woman she seemed most alive to me. "

The king made no comment. Besides a single monotonous reply. " perhaps it 'twas a ghost you saw. The cursed witch is dead"

Thranduil felt a dark rage consume him at the thought of his worst enemy allowing herself to be seen. Long ago there had been a bargain struck. To recompense his disfigurement and to spare her life she would remain dead to all of the world. She had broken her word.

He would have to remedy this soon. He would have to face her once more. After an age apart. It didn't bode well.

For after all best friends were your own worst enemy. . .