Chapter 4

Long Authors note : so guys this story has taken a 360 turn in my head from being about reunited friends falling in love and saving each other to something a little darker. Rhea is more than what she appears and her mother had devious plans for the Mirkwood royalty. She was key to the plan but at the last moment not only defied her mother but gathered her people's warriors and joined the alliance of men and elves side of the fight at the first ring war.

The story may get confusing cause it will switch a lot a lot a lot from present to past and back again until it goes onward to the end of the last battle at gondor before the March on the black gate. When the story goes to the past it will involve her mother talk of the coming alliance between elves and men. And Thranduil has just recently lost his wife to child birth and legolas is a toddler. When it's the present they talk of their past friendships and think upon what might have been. I hope I make it clear which is which by the way I write it. If not I will start labeling it in parentheses just to help with the confusion. Just Let me know.

Read review and hopefully enjoy. I hope to get some comments to see how it's going to far. I love comments after all. :)

Beauty such as This

(Past)

She silently slipped down the corridors of the Elven stronghold. Her clothes nor footsteps gave any sign that she was there. Not even the very air about her seemed to move as she passed through the royal chambers. Tonight wasn't the night that she would complete the task set before her. Oh no.

Tonight was simply getting a feel of what the royal family was. What strengths and weaknesses they possessed. This was what she had been trained to do. What she had been born to do. What she had been bred to do. Her mother had long ago lost herself in their commanders darkness.

To think centuries ago it had been the death of her mothers beloved dragon that had drove her to this. Many of her kind that were bound so fully with their dragons would have died from the grief. Not her mother. No she had sought out a powerful wielder of dark magic to bring about the binding of her mother with a new dragon.

Her aunt had held a special dragon. A dragon born of the same egg as her mother. A twin. This had not been seen since their kind had first soul bound themselves to dragons. And it hadn't been seen to this day either. Her aunt had been slain and her mother had claimed her dragon. As the dark one twisted the bond that they shared.

Despicable. The acrid taste that filled her mouth from the thought of what her mother had done was horrible. She knew deep down this wasn't the way her people followed. And yet her need to uphold her family and honor her mother could not be undone. This was the path set before her even before she was born.

She ambled down the corridor unworried for the guards about. They were of no consequence. She felt death had been to this place recently. As well as new life. She felt a wearied king longing for the west and to sail across the sea. She felt the princes arrogance and cold fury.

She turned to leave the royal wing and back to her bed chamber when she heard it. The soft breath of a babe. The gentle sighs that made the whole world pause in awe. A smile spread across her lips as she sensed this bright little one. The one weakness besides pride and arrogance the prince possessed was much more easily exploited was a child.

She continued on to her room taking in this information for later contemplation. Elves were worthy enemies. Their one weakness was their spirits which resided much closer to the surface than other races. Every sorrow and weakness could be felt by those able to do such. It was her gift. Empathy.

It would be their undoing. She would be here for a while yet. So she would wait and watch for that perfect moment to strike. The babe was unworthy as an enemy. It would remain ignored. It would be an excellent tool to evoke certain negative emotions. Emotions that made you weak.

This dynasty would fall. Though now wasn't the time for rash action. When taking out kings one needed to plan and flesh out plans. She would wait. After all she had all the time in the world.

"A rare beauty in the north
She's the finest lady on earth
A glance from her a city falls
A second glance leaves the nation in ruins.
There is no nation or city that had been more cherished than a beauty such as this"
She let her voice sing out into the night as she sat upon the railing of her balcony. There she spied it the silvery form of her friend gliding toward her. She was ready for him so that when he swooped toward her his wings sounding like a hurricane blast. And she flung her self into his back with practiced grace.

They soared higher and higher toward the clouds.
**********************************
She knew no fear then. For she was young and the world was not so old then. There were wild things that lingered in the little traveled places. She had never been in love. For to be in love meant that you would forever chain yourself to that one person who had stolen your heart.

She had known love and it had clipped her wings. Now even though she could fly her heart was like lead in her chest. Broken ruined. Burned.

She still burned for him. In hatred and in love.