Wattpad Original
There are 6 more free parts

Chapter 4: Cut em' Down

I fought to maintain my composure as I watched the vampires sweep into the room, careful to restrain their movement to blend in with the humans

I fought to maintain my composure as I watched the vampires sweep into the room, careful to restrain their movement to blend in with the humans. Their efforts to blend in never fully worked, though. Vampires couldn't eliminate that abnormal fluidity and grace with which they moved. Shifters were better at appearing fully human, but nevertheless, there was always something off about all supernaturals. Cursing inwardly, I observed their deceptively languid movements.

Like always, I had a few weapons on me, but certainly not enough to take out an entire nest of the bastards, especially not on my own. Besides, if I moved against them, then that would put all the humans in jeopardy because cornered monsters always fought back, another lesson drilled into us at Imhullu. And, there was no way I could defend every human present if the vampires, and presumably other supernaturals which would be at this party, attacked. So, my only option was to play it safe and play along until I could come up with a better plan, though if any of the monsters went after a human, I would have to act even though that might mean death for me. A death like that would be ironic, really. Me dying fighting the same monsters I'd spent my life avoiding hunting, although that's what they made me to do.

It would kind of be a poetic way to go, actually. The monster overwhelmed while killing the other monsters.

As the vampyric security team made its way around the cathedral, checking out the decorations and other party preparations, it pulled me from my musings. Two vampires, a man and a woman, approached our line of servers, and I fought the urge to pull out a weapon, any weapon, if only to make myself feel safer. The closer they got, the more my body reacted to their presence, my heightened senses making every fiber of my being scream out for me to attack those creatures before they attacked me. Even my nose twitched as I took in their scent. They smelled exotic and were so beautiful that it was unsettling. This is how vampires look when they're well-fed. Nothing like the snarling beast that had nearly murdered my brother when he'd fought one so that he could graduate from the Imhullu training program and finally go out into the field. Swallowing my nerves, I tried not to stare so that they wouldn't catch wind of the fact that I knew what they were.

The male huffed, drawing me to look at his green eyes and handsome, youthful features. When he spoke, his voice held a slight whine, making him sound almost like a bored, petulant child. "Tell me again why we brought in an...outside team for this?"

The female shrugged. "Alesky wanted it. Something about how their presence would temper the actions of the guests from other Orders. I don't know."

The male rolled his eyes, then turned his attention to the servers. "They look fine. Still not sure why their party company insisted on providing security, though. We've got it more than handled."

"Come on. Don't be an ass. We've got a job to do."

The guy chuckled before bumping her shoulder with his playfully. "You're always such a goody, good, Shiloh. You're just trying to make Timothy notice you."