Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

Chapter 7: Unsettling

When we were finally out of earshot of the others, I let out my breath I hadn't realized I'd been suppressing

When we were finally out of earshot of the others, I let out my breath I hadn't realized I'd been suppressing. "And the Oscar goes to....me! Not you, though. God, I thought they'd see right through you. Hey, does that hypnosis shit usually work?"

He ignored my ramblings, but did at least respond to my question. "Yes. It usually works."

"How about on Hunters?"

His gaze darkened as he cast his eyes about the darkened woods, seemingly still on edge and alert for danger. "I've never gotten the chance to test my abilities on others of your kind."

We walked in painful silence for a few moments until, the light of the cathedral in the distance caused a wave of relief to wash over me. The silence lengthened as we approached the back entrance of the building.

When we finally reached the edge of the building, I whispered, "Well, I guess we're even now."

I was about to head inside when the man reflexively placed a restraining hand on my shoulder that I immediately shook off. When I met his eyes, he offered me a look of apology before removing his hand. "I'm sorry. Please, just hold on for a moment."

"What now?" I huffed. By way of an explanation, the vampire pointed to my arm, drawing my attention to the fact that blood had soaked through the handkerchief.

His voice was gentle as he explained. "If you go in there like that, many of the young ones won't be able to resist attacking. Your blood is abnormally attractive to our kind."

I snorted, rolling my shoulders in a shrug as I replied. "I am the ultimate honey pot, right?"

He quirked his brow quizzically before speaking. "You're very...blunt, Meriwa."

Before I got the chance to respond to his sort of insult, he'd disappeared inside the building, returning moments later with a first-aid kit. Why supernatural monsters needed first aid kits, I didn't know. He placed the kit on rough stone steps, and I watched the back of his head as he dug around in it before pulling out some bandages and gauze then handing them to me. As quickly as I could, I wrapped my arm while Alesky looked away making a dramatically pained expression.

Could he be any more ridiculous?

"All right, drama queen, you can tone down the angst. I'm done No more blood.." He looked back at me and scoffed, and for some reason, his look of dubiousness made me bristle and grow defensive. "Look, I did the best I could one-handed!"

His frown deepened. "The bandage is about to come undone."

I shrugged and tried to turn away. "It's fine."

"Really. Please allow me to fix it, Meriwa. May I call you Meriwa?"

I sniffed before turning back to him. He could kill me an instant if he wanted to, but right now, he looked decidedly content just to stare at me. And I really didn't want to walk into a room full of blood-crazed monsters with a gaping open wound on my biscep, so I just huffed and held out my arm. "Fine fix it. And no you may not. My last name is Short."