Chapter 23

Chapter 23

A stroke of lightning illuminated the forest. The heavy clouds obscured the moon and further bathing the surroundings in darkness.

Against the strong wind and pelting rains, a small number of wolves were running away. Another group was behind them, barking and growling at them.

Strategically, they split into separate ways, their leaner and smaller bodies aiding them in slipping into tiny crevices within the huge fortress of trees.

Their black pelt and the absence of proper lighting also helped in concealment. The rains were washing their scent away and with ease they managed to escape their pursuers.

They continued to run around to completely lose them then they met up in a riverbank. The waters were frigid and violent as the storm churned it but they still went in it and followed the flow.

With this they know that those pack wolves won't track them anymore.

After paddling along the raging waters, they reached an inclined earth along the foot of the river and they swam towards it. Having left the waters, they shook their furs to take off the water and dry off but the rain relentlessly showered them.

One of them just gave up and all of them followed suit. The rain was heavy on their fur and it was troublesome but they were near their base.

Entering the dense forest once again they treaded the path and followed hidden markings and trails. The forest floor was wet and muddy and the visibility was low but they pushed on.

After a while they were met with huge boulders as they arrive at the foot of a mountain. The wall was steep and impossible to climb on but carefully placed and hidden arrangement of rocks and moss showed a carved out tunnel on the ground.

They slipped pass this and the last one tugged on the strings to bring the rocks back to their places. Once inside they traversed the narrow walkway with barely any room for their hides.

They walked in a straight line into the darkness. Until finally, light came streaming in and they were met with a small village just on the other side of the mountain.

The village was small, and all of the houses were situated in the forest. Above the trees and below. There were no one about because of the weather but lights could be seen illuminating from the houses.

The four wolves trudged on, heading towards the farthest house. The buildings were simple, made of wood and clay but sturdy enough to hold out on such a weather.

When they arrived at the doorstep, they phased from their wolf form to their human ones and dried themselves as best as they can.

As if hearing them, the door opened and a woman came out holding on a laddle. She was stunned momentarily at their nakedness but smiled soon after when she recognized them.

"Marcus, they're back!"

--

A crackle of thunder rang around the mansion and Licht shuddered at the sudden cold. She paused on her task and peered outside the large windows of their room.

Raindrops pelted the glass filling the room with that buzzing sound. She can't see past the torrential rain, still she stood up and went towards the large panel window and sat on the sill.

It's been a week since the two left for their pack.

A whole week full of lessons, etiquette and shopping. Turns out Andrea didn't think that the clothes they bought were enough and ultimately brought them to the mall once again.