chapter thirteen - star doctors

JOHN AWOKE TO the phone ringing at around noon. He had fallen asleep back at his apartment, and woke with a start when the phone rang. "I've got it, Johnny." His new roommate, Evan, called.

"Thanks." John said as he rolled out of bed and slipped into the sweater he had taken from Freddie about a week ago.

One week since everything had happened between Roger and Valerie, but he still was too hesitant to talk to her at all.

"It's a Mr. Star Doctor May on the phone for you!" Evan called into the apartment. Evan and Brian were pretty close, as they had met at a concert before. Evan had yet to meet Valerie, and John was a bit excited for the day that Evan even came into a five mile radius of Valerie. They probably wouldn't stop talking for hours.

      "I'm coming!" John called back as he shuffled into the living room. He took the phone from Evan, who walked into the kitchen to make himself some food.

       "Hello?" John said into the phone, and he could hear shuffling in the background.

      "Lunch at Valerie's today, there's some big news Reid just called with." Brian said, and I'm the background you could hear Valerie say something to which someone else responded.

     "Alright, I'll be right there, I guess." John said, about to ask Brian something else when the line clicked, and John knew he had hung up.

      He went back into his room to change into a decent looking leather jacket and t shirt, all the while thinking about how Brian now referred to the apartment as just Valerie's ever since he had moved into a new place with Payton. A house.

      He walked into the kitchen where Evan was about to put something in the microwave and he cleared his throat quietly. "Um, the band and a few of my friends are having lunch together. You should join us," John said.

      Evan looked up and smiled a bit. "Yeah, sure. Let me just get on some shoes," he replied, walking off to his room to get some footwear.

       John walked out of the kitchen and got his keys, waiting by the door for Evan to return.

        "Alright, let's plow." Evan said, putting on some sunglasses and swaggering out the door.
*****

As soon as Valerie heard the doorbell ring, her heart skipped a beat. Sure, she and John weren't talking, but she got excited whenever he was mentioned anymore. She knew it was John at the door, and she just couldn't help being happy.

      She went and opened the door and smiled at John. "Hey, Valerie." John said sheepishly, averting her eyes a bit.

"Hey, John. Who's this?" She asked, nodding to Evan, who had his hands in the pockets of his jacket.

"Evan Smith. It's great to meet you. John gushes about you a lot." Evan said,  causing John to go bright red, and Valerie to giggle a bit.

      "Valerie Cartaya. Soon to be doctor." Valerie said, and John perked up.  

      "You did it? Is that the good news?" John asked, and Valerie shrugged.

      "Part of it, at least. John, is that my jacket Evan is wearing?" Valerie asked,  raising an eyebrow, and John looked over.

      "No, it's mine. I stole it from Roger's closet." John said, looking pointedly at Evan.

      "And Roger stole it from mine. Lord," Valerie laughed. Evan, by now, was blushing and stuttering, taking off the jacket to give it to Valerie.