chapter sixteen - shopping spree

THE NEXT DAY, Valerie had invited Freddie out to go shopping before they left later that week

THE NEXT DAY, Valerie had invited Freddie out to go shopping before they left later that week. At the end of the day, she and John had planned to go to this carnival later with Roger and Periwinkle. They called themselves the 'single squad' now, and had already made plans to do things together to mock Brian and Freddie for always double dating with their girlfriends.

Naturally, the Single Squad had been formed over a phone call between Roger and Valerie that very morning, and had already gained popularity with Periwinkle and John soon after.

"Darling, tell me why you're taking me shopping? I believe I have plenty of clothes already packed to last me a whole year in America." Freddie said as he went through Valerie's vinyl.

Valerie came back in from the kitchen with three mugs of tea, handing one to Payton who was resting on the couch, going through a horrible cold at the moment.

"Why not? I've never gone out shopping with you, and I just want to spend some time doing something you love with you." Valerie said as she sat in the chair she was often found in at three in the morning, cramming for an exam.

"You know I'm going to turn this into a shopping spree for you. We'll find something cute that'll catch Deacy's eye." Freddie said, looking at Valerie and winking.

She went a bright shade of pink, recalling the near kiss he had given her the night before. "Oh, please! It's not like that, we're just friends!" Valerie said at his obvious implications.

"Oh, sure. That's a bunch of bullshit, and you know it. I see the way he looks at you, and the way you look at him. It may seem like friendly banter, but I think otherwise. You absolutely fancy him." Freddie stating, grinning excitedly. He obviously loved playing Cupid.

"I second that. You're madly in love." Payton added, and Valerie scoffed.

"I am not. You two better leave me alone." Valerie said as she sipped her tea, trying to hide the pink tinge to her cheeks.

"Not until you admit it. It's been, what, five years now? He's fancied you for a long while, I can tell. And he was so jealous when you and Roger had your little one night..... thing." Freddie said as he selected a Beatles record and put it on.

     "He wasn't jealous. He just didn't want to interfere with the relationship." Valerie said, recalling what John had told her a few weeks ago.

      Freddie snorted with laughter as 'Here Comes The Sun' played; the B side of Abbey Road. "Is that what he told you? Oh no, darling. He was jealous."

      "Twat! How come he didn't tell me?"

     "Darling, you think he's going to tell you that?" Freddie said as he set his mug of tea on the coffee table. Payton has fallen asleep with the mug of tea in her hands, and Freddie went and lightly pried it from her fingers.