Chapter 3: A Light in the Black

Flash rummages through invoices in the back office.

Oddly, like a diamond in the rough, a brand new Mercedes-Benz SLK 380 pulls up in front of the garage.

Tinted windows, ground effects, the whole kit and kaboodle.

Flash, sensing danger and suspicion, goes outside.

Grandad and his dog are there, he looks spooked.

So does Gearbox.

Flash Sentry: "What's going on here?"

Like a wraith, Shining Armor leans on the front left fender, door open.

He's wearing a long leather coat, taking puffs from a cigarette.

Shining Armor: "Well, well, well..."

And he begins to sing...

Shining Armor (Andy Griffith Theme): "Da-doo-doo-doo-Da-doo-doo-doo...Haha! Are you kidding me, man?"

Flash Sentry: "Hey there, Shining."

Shining Armor (On the Auto Shop's name) : "L.N. ORR. I get it. Clever."

Flash Sentry: "How's your walking sticks?"

Shining Armor: "Only hurts when I breathe. Look at you. Where are Barney Fife and Aunt Bea hanging out? And Opie...Where's Opie?"

He laughs some more, and chain-lights his cigarette.

Flash Sentry: "What are you doing here?"

Shining Armor: "Is there someplace we can talk?"

Sentry eyes him down.

Flash Sentry: "About what?"

Shining Armor: "About your brother. He's in some deeeeep shit."

*In a local tavern...*

A barmaid sets a pitcher of golden alcohol down between them, and two plasticky-

glass mugs.

Waitress: "There you go."

Flash Sentry: "Thanks Bon."

The waitress departs, leaving Shining Armor and Flash to exchange glances.

Shining Armor: "It's been a long time, Sentry."

Flash Sentry: "Six years."

Shining Armor: "Six years. Shit, time flies, doesn't it? Six years ago we were pissing out Armani and shitting out Cristal. Now look at us."

Flash Sentry: "Tell me about Bo."

Armor takes a big swig of his drink.

Shining Armor: "He took a job. And fucked it up. Fucked up real bad. Now he's in a whirlwind of shit."

Flash Sentry: "A job? What kind of job?"

Shining Armor: "A boost. A big boost."

Flash Sentry: "A boost? What the hell is he doing on a boost?"

Armor frowns at his former partner.

Shining Armor: "You're shittin' me, right? Bo's been quite the crewrunner since you up and left. He's been running a low-cost ring for two years now. You don't talk with your Ma?"

Flash Sentry: "Guess she neglected to mention it."

Shining Armor: "Maybe she doesn't know. Though, I don't see how that's a possibility. Maybe she didn't want to upset you..."

Flash Sentry: "Don't try and explain my family to me, Armor."

Shining Armor: "My point is, Bo's been living the life. Only he's a wild child. Crazy. Makes how we used to run look like child's play. But he fucked this one up so bad, people back in San Fran are already talking about him in the past tense."

Sentry holds his breath for a minute, then takes a quick drink.

Flash Sentry: "Who was the job for?"

Shining Armor: "Who do you think, Sentry?"

Flash pauses, in no sane mind for guessing games.

Shining Armor: "Chrysalis, boy. The Queen. Your favorite and mine."

Sentry's expression spoke volumes, though he remained silent.

Shining Armor: "I just thought I should let you know. I kinda had a feeling you didn't, but I should tell you that I'm working for her now, Chrysalis. So if by any means you see her, don't mention me coming to get you. Like I said, I thought I owed it to you, and that it was just the right thing to do."

Flash's cringed expression is one of only sorrow and depression.