2

Love. Romance. Sex. Hard Pass. I'm an asexual. Which is probably not much of a suprise to you. Seeing as this is a story about asexuality. But it's something I thought you should know. It's a common misconception to think asexuals are rare. That's not true. We're just...Invisible. My name is Louis Ericson and this is my-

"I'm asexual." Violet realized.

The first person I told was obviously my sister.

"I think I'm asexual."

"Ok."

The second person I told was Casey. When the time was right, of course. Over text though.

Casey Bryant: Ur soooo gay dude XD

Violet Everett: I think I'm asexual tho

Casey Bryant: Asexual? dats what I thought I was

Violet Everett: What???

Casey Bryant: Back in middle school n stuff then I grew up. Ur probably still just a child

Violet Everett: Maybe...

I didn't expect her to react like that. Perhaps there was there was some truth to what she said. Maybe I was still just a child. But...Something inside me knew. What I found described me perfectly. I knew I was asexual. So I decided to dig deeper. So I started to Google some of my questions.

"What is an asexual?"

"The term asexual is an umbrella term and can mean different things to different people. Typically though, an asexual describes a person with the lack of or limited amount of sexual attraction."

"How common are asexuals?"

"1% is thrown is around a lot when talking about asexuality but, this is just a rough estimate. Counting for the people who aren't even aware of asexuality. Some estimate the number being between 1% and 5%. There's no way of knowing for sure though."

"Do all asexuals hate sex?"

"No. Some asexuals are sex replused but, some are neutral to the idea of sex, often engaging in it to please a partner. Some asexuals even actively seek out sex. Asexuality is less about a person's thoughts on sex and more about who they are attracted to sexually."

"What's the ace ring?"

"In the ace community, many individuals wear black rings on their right hands middle finger. This gives them a way of identifying other asexuals as well as a sense of community."

"What are romantic orientations?"

"Romantic orientations are like sexual orientations but, address a person's romantic attraction to a gender. Some romantic orientations include: heteromantic, homoromantic, biromantic, panromantic and aromantic. Not all asexuals are aromantic and not all aromantics are asexual."

The ace ring? I wonder if...I checked the bathroom. Nothing. And it's not like I could ask my parents for one. How would I explain? What if I find someone else with the ring? There's about three thousand people at my school. And if we make up 1% of the population, that means there's at least 30 of us. That's how percentages work, right?