Chapter 5 - Final blow

Where were the other two elves you ask?

Watching uselessly in the same spot as before, the rude elf standing with a look as if it is their job to fight and his to give orders, except he had yet to give a single order. The female elf standing ready to fight but frozen. Her stern battle ready face only visible when her fearful shaking slowed down before the noise of combat caused it to become a blur again.

Useless both of them. The human thought with irritation before focusing on the foe in front of him.

The shambler in front was the one whos armour broke the mace. The quality and intricate designs of his chestplate show this man used to be more than some cheap adventurer like the others. Plastered in the centre of the breastplate was a detailed design of an angel flying with arms open, her dress flowed downwards closing at the base with a point as if it were a blade. Perhaps this person was a hero or some kind of paladin, it doesn't matter now because he's dead. What does matter is how they are going to kill him again

Stepping back and searching around would take too long, the last shamblers would get over the barrier by then. Without much choice, he moved forward fists ready to strike. Two small jabs to its arm, a larger swing to try and break an elbow. The shambler paladin moved faster than expected grabbing the humans arm with a tight grasp. Instead of clawing like the others this one struck with a closed fist, the huge fist hit heavily into the human's chest knocking the air out of his lungs.

Shit, this is not like the other ones. The human thought, grunting at the pain from it's powerful grip. Shaking to get loose its hold of him did not waver. This was now a battle of endurance as each punched powerfully into the other trading blows but neither being forced back.

Shinoko, who finally gained enough courage to move, ran forward swinging her sword towards it's grappling arm only for the sword to stop with a *thunk* swinging again and again helplessly as if chopping a tree with a blunt axe. Although she is trying to help, she was doing more harm than good barely missing the human with each swing.

"Can you not just crush it like the other one?" begged Shinoko.

"I'm heavy, not strong" the human mumbled only loud enough for him to hear.

Drawing a deep breath the human pulled back leaving the grappled arm outstretched, winding up a massive blow the shambler looked dead in his eyes... with its dead eyes. There was a sense of anger mixed with sorrow on its face as the human's fist flew into it with a *Thump* sending dirt flying and leaving a crevice in its face as the human wound his arm back for another strike trying his best to withstand each of the shamblers hits in return.

*Thump Thump Thump*

Slowly the face wore away into a neck stub. Facing towards the human still, it was a bit unsettling when a headless creature can still look you in the eyes.

Pointing out of the shambler's neck were roots where the spinal cord used to be and with nothing else to attack the human attacked that. Desperately he pulled at it even taking more strikes from the creature as his defences lowered.

Slowly the soil around it came loose. Pulling the roots free stopped the shambler stiff. As what was connected to it was its core, a still-beating heart. Although the other shamblers had cores in this spot, their hearts had long since stopped beating. This was unique and unique means important, at least to the human.

The shambler continued attacking striking solid punches into the human's ribs. Squeezing his fist with all his might the human crushed the heart. At the same time, all the shamblers crumbled into the soil. The destruction of the heartfelt as if all the captured souls were released and the human hoped they made it to where they belonged.

"You did it!, You did it! thank you so much!" Shinoko cheered excitedly. She had found her hero, someone who could protect her from anything and that she knew she could accompany forever.

"I expect my payment now." he called out flatly shaking off the dirt fist prints all over his body.

"I'm sorry. We don't have enough supplies for seven days." She excitedly replied, forgetting to even pretend to look sorry.

Upon hearing this he turned towards them with a blank expression edging on angry, this was more emotion than he showed the whole fight. They were safe from the shamblers but now there was an even bigger threat blocking the way.

"Oh.." Her excitement flatlined. He's just in it for the money.

"Why agree to a deal if you cannot fulfil the terms?"

"I'm sorry please forgive us. We can pay you the Gold and show you the way to town but.. the truth is we lost all of our food when these creatures attacked our camp two days ago."

"Half a payment is still not a payment little one."

"W-we can show you the way to the town and get you the supplies then. I promise on the honour of the imperial elves."

"...Honour. Your honour is not worth much if you cannot honour the deal in the first place."

"Please." The old elf interrupted looking pleadingly at the human with a very tired face. This was all he needed to say, the human knew of his honour for one without wouldn't have helped against such poor odds.

Thinking it over he replied, "I do not know of how much honour these imperial elves have but I shall trust your words little one. But remember this... I charge interest. Ten days rations."

"Ten?! You really do intend to extort us human how dare you!" Kento'rel barked angrily.

"Calm down. You are the ones who changed the deal. Is this fine with your little one?"

*un* she nodded, excitement growing again. "Stop calling me little one I'm older than you by a century. That's a whole human lifetime!" she giggled.

Her hero had arrived.