Chapter 14 - The first quest

Everyone was seated, their seating position based on who the Princess considered important. Shinoko, Kento'rel and Aias sat closest to her while the other's seats were arranged around the now clean table. When everyone was seated only Kaiho was left standing.

"It appears we are out of seats, I am afraid you will have to wait at the back" Princess Amara lied. It was true the table had no spare seats left but there were many more in the room. "A traders input is not needed for this meeting anyway."

She wanted him to feel unwelcome that was plain to see. Kaiho eyed her cautiously, trying to see if the was testing him and using her authority to get back at him. For many people, this would likely be an unavoidable scene of humiliation.

Instead of being offended or hurt, Kaiho gave a small smile. "Quite right my lady. If you need me I will be outside." With a simpering smile of a child getting out of detention, he made sure to bow and stare intently at the floor before heading for the door.

Princess Amara's not-so-subtle smile revealed that this was a better result than she had planned. She could not outright evict a priests companion but if they did so voluntarily then she did nothing wrong and the person who made her feel like less than dirt would be out of her sight.

"Kaiho-san you do not have to go." Shinoko innocently remarked.

Amara's face flickered almost giving Shinoko a dirty glare.

"It's okay Little one, I'll just be downstairs," Kaiho replied, exiting to ensure Shinoko could not protest.

Kaiho's reply made her pout. How dare you call me that in front of the princess. She vowed to bruise his shin the next time they are in private.

The idea of them being in private flashed into her mind, him holding her hand, grabbing her collar. Her face flushed as she imagined the scenes too indecent for a priest to perform.

"Miss Shinoko? Miss Shinoko." Amara nudged her side. "Are you okay?"

"Ah, oh sorry." She replied, shaking her head and rubbing the red out of her cheeks. Thoughts of Kaiho were pushed to the back of her mind as she returned to the conversation happening in front of her.

"Good." Amara continued. "As I was saying, Imaras and Aias here will escort you and your companions to the world tree Iverncrest. There you collect a vial of pure water from inside of Iverncrest himself."

"I understand, but I am afraid I am ignorant as to why I am required for this."

"The Guardians have informed me that a vial of Iverncrest's water is required to repurify the forest and fight back the corruption summoning these wretched undead. Iverncrest is a holy place and a god of the woods. Only a holy person has the right of entering."

Goras spoke up "Forgive me for saying this, but I believe miss Shinoko means, why can your priests not perform this task?"

"Because they are old, stupid and useless." Vordum barked. "They can hardly remember what direction it is to the pub, let alone through these blasted woods."

"... I would not phrase it as so but I am afraid the dwarf is right. Our current priests do not have the required skills to perform such a task." Amara gave a saddened sigh. "The people in the priesthood who have the required skills are too far away. Since time is of the essence we had to request help and you were sent to us."

Shinoko grew nervous, such a big weight had just landed on her shoulders.

"Heh, Don't look so scared girly it's not like you are going out there alone."

Everyone nodded in agreement and Vordum's gruff matter of fact voice was very comforting, albeit strange for a dwarf to be kind.

"Still, to fight our way there and back with so few people will surely be a challenge," Goras said pessimistically. Previous encounters with the shamblers had given him a clear understanding of how difficult this could be.