Chapter 9 - Contact

"Sto-" *Hurk!* "STOP!"

The party stopped, Shinoko's stomach was upset but Kento'rel's was in the process of being emptied. One more turn and she would likely have joined him.

"Can you keep going 'high' elf"

Even in his weakened state, Kaiho felt it was fine to insult him and Kento'rel was too busy to care.

"I don't think so" *Hurk!*

Over the sound of Kento'rel's splatter, a light whirring could be heard.

"Okay defensive formation, Gora's I want you-"

*Thunk*

Kaiho failed to notice the arrow flying until it was already lodged into his leg.

"SON OF A FF-"

Looking wildly into the distance Kaiho spotted one of the many root spears shake slightly.

"Give me that"

Ripping the staff out of Goras's hands he sprinted towards the attacker, vanishing and reappearing every few steps. Leaving behind a Sick, a Shocked and a Scared elf behind.

Kaiho's charge was replied with more arrows as the enemies were no longer just following behind quietly. Kaiho did not dodge the arrows with ease like some master assassin but none struck as deeply as the first arrow and many barely scratched his skin.

His wild movements made him a challenging target and all but impossible to hit when he came into contact with his first foe. Unwilling to shoot their ally the arrows ceased but this did not give Kaiho time to rest. As quickly as the arrows stopped attacks from the spear in front had started, giving only a split second for Kaiho to dodge as the spear narrowly missed his chest.

*Thwip*

*Clack*

*Click*

Each strike was fast and precise but each strike was parried or dodged skillfully by Kaiho. Even so, the strikes were coming at such a rate that a few got past. Not enough to do any real harm but enough to draw blood through the many little cuts. With every strike that cut, he was forced back a single step.

Stepping back too far and the hidden archers pelted Kaiho with arrows. Moving forward the arrows ceased but the spear strikes increased. Between the two, the spear was an easier fight. He moved forwards accepting the damage to his shirt as an acceptable sacrifice.

Kaiho's struggle was not entirely due to the skill of the spearman but the fact they were invisible. Instead of a person, only vague outlines could be seen as it's movements shifted the light in the background. Unable to tell what pose the foe was in meant Kaiho did not know where to strike and all of his attacks cut through thin air.

The only object fully visible was the spear moving menacingly towards Kaiho. Every strike from the spear was aimed at his heart, it's intent clear. Unwilling to die Kaiho could only wait for the correct time to strike. Reading the angle of the strikes he slowly figured out the most likely positioning of his foe.

He had to act.

*Clack*

Instead of parrying away the attacker's spear Kaiho's staff rested on top of it, holding it in place. Using the motion of the spear as a guide he struck, sliding the staff down the spear shaft and raising it as it reached mid-swing. He prayed the attacker's head was there. If it wasn't they just needed to thrust their spear and he would die.

*TOCK!~~~*

The sound of a home run echoed through the forest.

The strike struck true sending the attacker flying backwards into a tree. The collision must have knocked loose whatever magic was active as a small unconscious golden-skinned creature appeared on the ground. Moving up to strike it again, Kaiho hesitated.