~16~ Surprises and Last Minute Vacations

I got home from school that night kind of late. We had an after party for the awards night. I unlocked the door to see my dad and Alexandra sitting hand in hand on the couch, smiling at each other. "Surprise!" Alexandra said in her sickly sweet voice, holding up their hands. On their hands were a pair of rings.

I dropped my jaw. "Y-you proposed." I said in almost a whisper.

"Isn't it great, Kenz!" Dad said with a grin. I swallowed and nodded.

"Y-yeah it's... great Dad." I said, looking down.

"And to celebrate the three of us are going on vacation!" Alexandra said excitedly.

"Where? For how long?" I asked. Next week was the class president election, and I had wanted to be there.

"Only a week. We're going to Philadelphia, where your mom" Alexandra visibly tensed,  "and I are from. You're going to be staying with the Matthews, mostly."

"Like... Riley's grandparents and uncle?" I asked. He nodded. I smiled a little bit. Josh was the annoying older cousin I never had. We hadn't seen each other in a while. His parents were just as welcoming as his brother and sister-in-law.

"Go pack your bag. We're leaving tomorrow morning." My dad told me. I nodded and went to my room, grabbing my phone.

'Guess what just happened.' I texted Farkle.

'Good or bad?' He asked automatically.

'Depends... I just walked into my house to find the new soon to be Mr and Mrs. Huxton'

'Omg I'm so sorry Kenz :('

'Oh and get this, I have to miss class president elections because we're taking a week long vacation to Philly'

'Ur joking'

'I wish :( I get to hang with my other annoying cousin though... They're basically dumping me at the Matthew's house. Anyway gtg and pack.'

'K see u later '

I closed my phone and packed my bag. This was going to be a long week.

~<3~

We had just landed in Philadelphia after a three hour flight. I was wearing some slightly ripped jeggings, a T-shirt with Broadway show covers, a long plaid collared over shirt/sweater (like the shirts that you keep unbuttoned I didn't know how to describe it😂😂), and a black beanie.

My dad rented us a car, and dropped me off at the Matthews' house. It was 10:00 in the morning, but I knew that Josh had a break from school, so he'd be home. I took a breath and knocked on the door.

No answer.

I knocked again and heard a *thump* and a groan. Suddenly the door opened to reveal a squinty eyed Josh rubbing his forehead. He looked like he had just woken up two minutes ago. Which he had.

"Miss me?"  I said with a wide smile.

"Kenz!" He said giving me a hug.

"Did I wake you up?" I asked, noticing his expression.

He nodded. "It's fine. Now we have a week, so we need to figure out everything we're gonna do."

I smirked. "Maybe you should let me in the house first, Matthews. These bags are heavy."

~<3~

"Josh, give it back!" I exclaimed, reaching for my notebook. We were sitting on the couch, and he was being nosy.

"Wow Kenz... there's some deep lyrics in here. How'd you come up with this?"

"I write what I feel."

"That brings me to my next question. What's wrong?"

"Why is everyone asking me that. I'm fine, Josh!" I exclaimed frustratedly.

"Your outburst seems to tell a different story."

"You do know why I'm here, right?" I asked, fiddling with my thumbs.

"Kind of... Your dad's doing something with his girlfriend right?"

"More like fiance."

"You're joking." He said, turning to face me quickly.

"Sadly, no."

"Wow... sorry Kenz."

"It's fine Josh. I'm fine. I'm always fine." I said, looking him in the eyes.

"You shouldn't have to tell yourself that. You're just
kid, Kenz."

I laughed a bit. "Because you're definitely an adult aren't you?" I said sarcastically.

"That's not the point, Kenz. The point is you shouldn't have to go through all of this. It's not fair."

"Life's not fair, Josh. I wish it was, but it isn't." We stayed silent for a moment, awkwardly.

"How about we go out and get some ice cream, go to the park, and stare at random people like stalkers."

I laughed. "Let's do it, Matthews." This last minute vacation was better than I thought it would be.

Here's a filler for you guys. So, I introduced Josh into this as another brotherly sort of figure.
Who do you guys think she'll end up dating❤?

Love you all ~ Cassidy