The Binding of Nations and Hearts

After asking James to notify our parents that I had woken up Steve helps me back under the covers, tucking in the sides, and takes a seat on the edge of my bed. I have never seen him look as nervous as he does now, biting his lower lip and avoiding my gaze by staring at the floor.I reach out and softly take his hands in my own. "Steven, what is troubling you?" I ask gently as I give his hands a squeeze of encouragement.

He finally meets my gaze. He takes a deep breath before letting it out and speaking. "Y/N, I know that we are already betrothed, but I still wish to ask you if you would do me the extraordinary honor of becoming my wife? I know that I've been a complete beast to you. You have every reason to not even wish to be my friend. But, sweetheart, most of that was just a charade, a way to mask my true feelings. To mask how swiftly I was, and still am, falling for you. I know that it does not excuse my behavior and I will spend every waking moment for the rest of eternity trying to make it up to you. If only you would grant me the opportunity to do so?" Steven says all of this in a single breath before resuming chewing on his lips. The hopeful look in his eyes is so sincere that I cannot contain the smile overtaking my features.

"Steven..." I begin only to be cut off by him.

"Please call me Steve. Steven makes me feel like I'm being scolded by my mother for being reckless," Steve says with a small, rueful chuckle.

"Steve," I start again with a smile, "there is nothing in this world that would make me happier than being your wife. Since you are being honest, it is only fair that I return the courtesy. The whole ice princess mask that I have been putting forth since you arrived was to try to protect my heart and hide how absolutely and irrevocably in love I am with you."

The smile that breaks across Steve's face is bright enough to rival the sun on a clear midsummer's day. He cups my face between his hands and starts leaning forward. Just before our lips meet the door to my chambers bursts open and the three monarchs come rushing in, relief and joy evident on their faces as they each take turns in embracing me.

Once they have calmed down somewhat and taken their own seats around the bed Steve clears his throat. "I have an announcement to make. I know that we are already betrothed, but I asked y/n to marry me, and she said yes. I know that it is sudden, but I was thinking that we should move up the wedding, the sooner the better." It was as if time had stood still.

"Steve, are you sure?" I manage to gasp out once my senses return. Our parents are still wearing masks of shock and quiet disbelief.

"Absolutely. You said it yourself; Thanos is trying to destabilize us. What better way to show that he will not succeed, that we are united than a wedding? Besides, I waited too long once, I don't intend on making that mistake again," with these last words Steve turns to me and takes my hand in his to lay a delicate kiss on the back of my hand. We smile fondly at each other as if no one else existed.

The next few weeks are a whirlwind of planning and preparations for the wedding. Although we manage to sneak a few private moments to ourselves to get to know one another better, I see very little of Steve since he is with our fathers, counselors, and generals, discussing plans of attack should Thanos strike at the wedding or on our return journey home.

I, on the other hand, am being surrounded by ladies maids, cooks, gowns, flowers, decorations, and of course, Sarah, while we arrange the place settings, decor, music, menu and of course my wedding dress. While my dress is being made in utmost secrecy so that no one knows how it will look until the ceremony, most of the family and servants know how the rest of my entourage will look. We had decided that Morgan, my second cousin, will be my flower girl in a soft navy blue tulle dress, while Nat and Wanda will be my bridesmaids in champagne colored silk and tulle gowns. Steve's suit will be black slacks, boots, a white shirt, and his formal military dress jacket in navy blue with gold trim.

Before I know it, the day has arrived. The morning is spent eating breakfast in bed before being ushered through a myriad of flower-and-herb-scented baths, beauty treatments, having my face made up with various pigmented powders and rouge, then my hair was curled, plaited and pinned into position so that the plaits formed a natural crown at the back of my head while the curls cascaded down my shoulders. Lastly came the dress; a lace covered bodice contoured perfectly to hug my curves to my hips before flaring out with a soft champaign skirt decorated with white lace flowers.

My father meets us in the foyer of the cathedral where the ceremony is to take place. All morning I had been as calm as still water, but now, standing here about to change my life forever, my stomach is filled with butterflies twisting my muscles in knots and making my hands shake."You look just like your mother..." my father murmurs with tears in his eyes. "She would be so proud of you today, as am I," Father says with a proud smile before saying jokingly, "You know it's not too late to make a run for it."

This pulls a small laugh from me as I shake my head, "Father!" Before he can reply the doors swing open and the procession starts. Time seems to drag on slower than usual until at last, it is our turn to start walking forward, then time stops.

At the end of the path stands Steve, looking positively handsome in his jacket with his beard neatly trimmed and his hair slicked back. The only thing grounding me at the moment and hindering me from running headlong down the aisle is the pressure of my father's hand on mine. Suddenly the journey towards my soon-to-be husband seems ridiculously long, but at long last, we reach the altar. My father gives me a peck on the cheek before handing me off to Steve, who I can now see is fighting down tears of his own.

The rest of the world falls away around us, only Steve and I exist. Only the feeling of his warm, slightly calloused hand holding mine matters. The smallest part of my mind that was actually paying attention to what was going on around us lets me know when it is time to say 'I do'. Then the officiator is declaring us husband and wife and Steve wraps his arms around my waist, drawing me closer until his hands cup my face and his lips press against mine. They're soft, warm, and firm, in other words, absolutely perfect.

All too soon we have to pull away and be swept up in the crowd leading us outside where it looks as if the entire country had turned up. Steve shields me as best he can as we quickly make our way to the carriage while being thrown with rice and flower petals.

Once safely in the carriage and on our way to the feast at the castle, Steve and I take a moment to just giggle in excitement before he draws me as close as possible to sweep me into another loving kiss. By the time he draws back, we are both out of breath as he presses his forehead to mine, staring into my eyes.

"I love you, my darling wife," he whispers, tucking a lock of hair behind my ear.

"I love you, my darling husband," I whisper back, caressing his cheekbones, both of us oblivious to the dark clouds gathering on the horizon.